1996 GTI Help/Advise

hey everyone
    I need a "push in the right direction" so to speak. I have a 1996 GTI that has set up for around a year maybe. Battery dead, so I replaced it with a new one (I learned that expensive lesson the hard way), attached the DESS key and nothing happens no beep no nothing. I check the fuses and all were good none blown. I had recently bought a MPEM from Charles at Jetworx so I sent him an email. I was thinking it was a DESS Key gone bad, so I ask him if he thought that could be it. He said he thought it sounded like a bad DESS post. I know I can change this out and it's easy to change out. What I am vague on is: 1. Has anyone else had this problem? 2. Will I have to reprogram the DESS system or can I buy a used off of ebay, plug it in and use my original key? Thanks for the advise.
    BTW, if you know of how I can confirm or diagnose by process of elimination please let me know what to check and I'll post up me findings.
    Heath

Make sure you checked all the fuses you have them in two places. In the gray box up front and in the black box by the battery. Then check all ground cables, and wiring harness conections,especially the one that plugs in the front cover, and the one that plugs in the top of the black box by the battery. As far as the lanyard it has to match the MPEM. You can have any lanyard programed to match any MPEM, and many different boats with the same lanyard.

Quote Originally Posted by aseymore View Post
    Make sure you checked all the fuses you have them in two places. In the gray box up front and in the black box by the battery. Then check all ground cables, and wiring harness conections,especially the one that plugs in the front cover, and the one that plugs in the top of the black box by the battery. As far as the lanyard it has to match the MPEM. You can have any lanyard programed to match any MPEM, and many different boats with the same lanyard.

Okay I'll have to look for a black box, I didn't see a one anywhere last I messed with it. I know that the lanyard has to match the MPEM, what I am not sure of is how does the post play into the schematic, Can a "used" lanyard post be used with my current lanyard and MPEM without having to reprogram anything?

Thanks
    Heath

Thread Information