Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pictures listed 717 seadoo engine Locked Up

Ok last time out this engine cut off after running about 2000 rpms for about 40 to 45min. It cut off and would not crank back up. Got back to the hill on the other engine (twin engines). When I got back to the dock still tried it never cranked but turned over strong. Then like 4-5 days later I pulled the plugs out of that engine replaced with new plugs. Then went to crank it but the engine would never turn over for me. There was a guy on craigslist that gave free estimates on repairs. He came out to me said man that motor is froze up tight. Checked the compression on my other motor he said nice this is a strong engine here. Said I can take it to my shop pull the head take a look it may just need a pistion. He said if up there looks ok it prob the crankshaft then you prob be better getting new motor a crank is 600.00. I said well not looking to sink alot into it. he said new engine run ya 1500-2000 cause when you get it its not ready to just slap in and go. I said well I prob sell it get what I can before putting that kind money in it. He calls few days later hate to tell ya this but when the motor locked up it got water inside of it the inside has rusted in there its shot "what would you like to do" another engine gonna run ya 1500-2000 I might can find someone who pic it up but prob not with the engine gone. One guy was like just cause the engine rusted inside dont mean its shot. Does that mean its shot guys????? The guy was like I think the guy trying to shaft you. Could it have just got to hot blew a head gasket or something and some water might have got in. Im get it back from him maybe get a second opinion from a friends boat mechanic. What you guys think your opinion. I know its hard being you havent saw inside the top of engine. Before it quit running I went through some low water water was muddy behind the boat when I tried to speed up thats why the only 2000 rpms for 45 min just tying to get back.

Thanks I appreciate any replies

only had boat year in a half only been out 5 times in it hate to know its done.
    Last edited by marionr26; 08-30-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    unless you're mecanical impaired, i would really really strongly suggest for you just to take the heads of and acess the damage for example see if the 2 cylinder and piston are still there and the sleeves are nice and smooth, dont just go out and spend 600 dollars cause a mechanic tells you to, it could have just desintegrated a piston so all you would need is a new piston and maybe a sleeve depending on the damage. take some pics and get some advice. thats what we're here for.
    Chris

You could have restricted the cooling system on the engine running through the muddy water. I would pull the head and check the pistons and cyl. It could have seized up from not cooling properly.If the head has a lot of mud in the top side of it that's the problem.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aseymore View Post
    You could have restricted the cooling system on the engine running through the muddy water. I would pull the head and check the pistons and cyl. It could have seized up from not cooling properly.If the head has a lot of mud in the top side of it that's the problem.
    +1. Been d'here done d'hat.

thanks guys yes I mean one min its up to 6500 rpms 55 mph then all of a sudden thrown the throttle to it to go it dont want to go i look back see muddy water. After that it wounldnt go over 3000 rpms so just idle back to hill wich was prob 4 miles away the engine cut off before it got back. Not looking to spend 1500.00 bucks on it. I use to race go karts with 5 hp briggs motors but I think these are far different. So sould I just pull the head off or do I need to pull out the entire motor. If so How do I pull motor??? Where do I locate the bolts to pull it??

I would do a compression check first. Compression should be in the 150 range with not over a 5 to 10 pound difference in the two. Then head off first. The cyl walls will tell you if you have seized a piston. If that is the case you will not have to pull the engine. Just both cyl. or maybe just one, if you only had one piston to seize up. Unless you have damage to the piston and you would need to clean the crank case out. Then you would have to pull the engine.

Aubrey

how do I do a compression check if the engine locked up and wont turn over? I done one on the other engine it was 150.

Would be pretty hard to do a comppression check with the engine locked. Stupid ME.Pull the head and take a look at the cyl. walls and pistons

ok thanks man...Ahhhh dont worry about the comment. I appreciate your thoughts I will pull it.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    post some pics, we can most likely tell you what the problem was. could have also been a clogged carb filter, causing it to lean out. unless it overheated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information