Jared of Oklahoma

Question To SBT or not to SBT. What shall I ever do?? Advice please..

I have a 2001 GTI that I need a motor for. Please read the following and feel free to make any suggestions or correct me on something if I am wrong. Im trying to make the best decision and the best use of my money. My options as I see it are #1. buy some used jugs, pistons, crank, and a decent set of used cases, and build my own motor with the new used parts and the good parts I have salvaged from my broken motor. (the disadvantage to this option is that if I do not find a cheap good used crank I might as well just buy a motor already built because I will not save any money #2. Pay the welding fees to SBT or similar company to repair my broken jug and cases. and then order a shortblock motor from them. (the disadvantage to this option is that it can cost upwards of $1100-$1300 once I include welding fees or I have to track down parts to replace my broken cores. (Time is not the problem. I have more time than I have money.) so I suppose with option #2 the question is should I go with SBT or do I go with a company like Watercraft Engine Technologies (http://www.watercrafttech.com/index.php) #3 Find a good use motor from someone here on the Forum OR does anyone have a builder they recommend over SBT or Watercrafttech not only for price but for Quality of product as well??? I appreciate any advice any of my fellow Hulkster members can offer.
    Last edited by jarcynvicnchris93; 08-27-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling

most that know will recommend to not buy from SBT, not a long term solution. it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you get a motor that will last more than a few hours, actually shooting craps may have better odds. I know nothing about the other company. I would recommend calling Armin at PPG (954-929-1636) and discussing your options with them, a Rotax Remanufactured being the best quality option.

Jared of Oklahoma

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GTXX View Post
    most that know will recommend to not buy from SBT, not a long term solution. it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you get a motor that will last more than a few hours, actually shooting craps may have better odds. I know nothing about the other company. I would recommend calling Armin at PPG (954-929-1636) and discussing your options with them, a Rotax Remanufactured being the best quality option.
    I plan to check with Armin on Monday morning. Thanks

he will probably be off on Monday, but they are open on Saturdays.

Thread Information