I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

Which Amsoil and what ratio?

Hey gang, I'm starting to get low on my Amsoil supplies and I need to buy another box before my preferred customer status expires. I've been using the Interceptor oil and I do like it quite a bit. My valves have been staying clean with in on my '98. I have oil injection on that ski.

The 1010 I will soon have is premix. Jason told me to use 20 oz to every 5 gallons of fuel, which if my mickey mouse math is correct, is 32:1 ratio. That sounds fine and dandy since this is a built motor. Now the question comes should I go on and switch both of my 785s to Dominator oil or would the Interceptor be the best oil for both considering they both have exhaust valves?

I know, it's like splitting hairs here, but I want to know you guy's opinions on this!

+1
    The Dominator and the Interceptor oil are within a couple cents of each other. If it were my ski I would go with the Dominator especially for the 1010 for the RPM's that turns and the big bore. Granted you may have to clean your valves a little more, but it has the extra protection.

+1
    Here's the Amsoil Chart:
    http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/2-cycle-oil-fab-four.php

Interceptor or Dominator will be fine.

I think the generally accepted Pre-mix ratio is 40:1, but in a HiPo application you might want 32:1 for extra protection

Instead of guessing mixing volumes, get a SeaSense pre-mix bottle like this one:
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ixing%20bottle

It takes out all the guess work. The only thing you need to know is the # of gallons of fuel. The bottle has markings for ratios of 100, 50, 40, 32, and 24:1. I've used these on my boat and PWC for years and it works great.

KJ

With Dominator you can see it in the gas when premix. Hard to tell w/ Interceptor

+1
    Thanks guys, you all bring up good points. John, I actually bought that bottle from Overtons last week. I like the idea of being able to see the oil in the fuel. I think I'll make the switch over to Dominator for both of my skis.

+1
    Yeah that is one problem with interceptor....It is damn near impossible to tell if it is mixed or not.

I might switch to dominator just for that reason...

In my experience, Dominator all the way.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

dominator

doesn't the dominator say it doesn't have the anti scuff properties and is more of a race oil for motors that will be rebuilt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    doesn't the dominator say it doesn't have the anti scuff properties and is more of a race oil for motors that will be rebuilt
    This is what it says about "racing" oils (Dominator oil):
    (1) Not recommended for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3 type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short term use where motors are periodically inspected.
    (2) Excellent for racing or modified motors. Very good for recreational use.
    I wonder why an outboard motor would be different than a PWC motor?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    This is what it says about "racing" oils (Dominator oil):
    (1) Not recommended for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3 type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short term use where motors are periodically inspected.
    (2) Excellent for racing or modified motors. Very good for recreational use.
    I wonder why an outboard motor would be different than a PWC motor?

Why does AMSOIL DOMINATOR™ Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil (TDR) Say* Not suitable for long-term use in outboard motors as a TC-W3 type oil, although excellent as a race oil for short-term use where motors are periodically inspected?

In order to obtain the highest level of protection, the AMSOIL Dominator Racing oil contains what is referred to as ash-type chemistry. Though this type of chemistry provides the additional safety margin required in racing it also tends to allow for additional deposit formation within the combustion chamber. The rate of formation is slow but over the course of many seasons of operation, it could present a problem in certain PWC applications. In competition, engines are inspected or rebuilt frequently. That being the case, ash-type chemistry and hence deposit formation is never really a concern. In an application in which the equipment may run for years without inspection or cleaning, the possibility of a concern does exist. Hence, the reason for our warning statement you noted. If you have performed some serious engine modifications, the AMSOIL Dominator would be the preferred product. You would just have to remember to inspect it for combustion chamber deposits every few years.

Thread Information