Thread: 2002 Virage I

2002 Virage I

I have only had this ski for 2 months and it seems to be missing around 4000 rpm. Its fine on high rpm and idle. Can some one help...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by matt7088 View Post
    I have only had this ski for 2 months and it seems to be missing around 4000 rpm.

Its fine on high rpm and idle. Can some one help...

Also the only way to shut it off is to pull the rip cord...
    Welcome

This should have it's own thread, and not be part of someone else's thread
    A moderator may move it...

Sometimes these Ficht engines do develop a roughness at mid-range RPM. Feels like the carb's need adjustment, but of course there are no carbs to adjust

When it is running rough, and you squeeze the throttle firmly, does it always pull strongly and smoothly?

You are running the correct spark plugs?

Any red lamp or warning messages on the display?

Has the problem appeared recently, or been this way for a long time?

What is the maximum sustained RPM at full throttle on smooth water?

Have you checked cylinder compression?

Have a look here;
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

You have a combined Start/Stop button. If the Stop function is not working, then the Start/Stop LR module may have a problem.

What is the service history of this machine?

Sorry new to site... Im a newbie at this site.. Just bought this ski about 2 months ago and didnt know what I was getting... I replace the plugs with NGK platimum PZFR6H plugs maybe they are the wrong ones..not sure Ive had it up to about 6000 rpm, but that wasnt full throttle , and it runs fine at 6000. Its really missing when I first put in the water after about 5 mins its not as noticeable. I dont know the history of this ski just hope its not a lemon

Havent checked compression....what is it suppose to be?

+1
    Havent checked compression....what is it supposed to be?
    Hold throttle wide open, with all spark plugs removed and wires grounded (or just leave the plugs connected to the wires, and ground the plug bodies on the engine).

Each cylinder should read within 10% and preferably within 5% of the other cylinders. The exact numbers will depend on your compression gauge, but typically are 120-140PSI.

Also when its running rough it doesnt seem to pull through... Its been like this ever since I bought it... it just takes a little time to pull through the roughness and then it runs fine after its warmed up....maybe its just cold..not sure... but still is missing around 4000 rpm

+1
    ...Just bought this ski about 2 months ago and didn't know what I was getting... I replace the plugs with NGK platimum PZFR6H plugs maybe they are the wrong ones....

Ive had it up to about 6000 rpm, but that wasn't full throttle , and it runs fine at 6000. Its really missing when I first put in the water after about 5 mins its not as noticeable.

I don't know the history of this ski just hope its not a lemon
    Those are the correct spark plugs.

Don't worry about the miss so much.

Check compression, and make sure you have fresh gasoline in the tank. Minimum recommended octane if you have ethanol blend is 89 octane. I run 91 octane in my own Ficht engines, partially to avoid the ethanol in my region.

With good fuel, warm the engine up, then find out what the maximum sustained RPM is on smooth water. That will tell you if the engine is making full power.

Once we know the engine can make power, we can investigate the mid-range miss more carefully.

If you see a red lamp or warning message while riding, slow down and take it home.

thanks for the help im going to take it out tommorrow and find out what the high rpm is im guessing its around 7000rpm.... i will let u know... i did put 91 octane in it first time but then I put a little 87 octance last time...with no ethanol...

Does the gauge work or is it have water in it at all? That gauge ahs a built in limiter in it.

Thread Information