Modular jet pump retro fit ??

Hi, I am new to the PWC world. I recently bought a 1992 Polaris 650SL with a 750 SL engine. I was told that there is a bigger (148mm) modular pump that was introduced by Polaris in 1994. I think mine has the original shorter pump 146mm. What I understand is that the 148mm modular jet pump can be installed into the older hull, and provides a more efficient thrust, stronger launch, and a little more top speed. I was just wondering if someone could let me know if they have done this or heard of this being done? My other question is what parts do I have to change out (buy) and what parts can I keep from my 1992 650SL to complete this? Does this pump come with a trim kit or is that an extra? A second topic I was wondering about is can I buy pre bored cylinders for the 750 fuji engine and do I need to change any electical if this is completed? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for more useful info

This thread touches on what is involved in upgrading from the old pump;
    1993 SL650 Engine Rebuild - Could use help in here

The numbers 146mm and 148mm refer to the diameter of the impeller, not the pump length.

There isn't really a 'kit', but simply re-using a jet pump from a newer model with the 1992-1993 hulls.

Since your engine was upgrade to the 750cc version, the impeller must also be matched to the 750 engine power. The usual method is to find a jet pump removed from a 750 hull, which should have the correct impeller inside.

Of course, the replacement jet pump parts must not be worn out or damaged.

Thanks alot for the fast response WOW. I will have to take a look at the pump and see what is really installed in the 1992 650sl hull. Thanks again for the info.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 92 Polaris650SL View Post
    Hi, I am new to the PWC world. I recently bought a 1992 Polaris 650SL with a 750 SL engine. I was told that there is a bigger (148mm) modular pump that was introduced by Polaris in 1994. I think mine has the original shorter pump 146mm. What I understand is that the 148mm modular jet pump can be installed into the older hull, and provides a more efficient thrust, stronger launch, and a little more top speed. I was just wondering if someone could let me know if they have done this or heard of this being done? My other question is what parts do I have to change out (buy) and what parts can I keep from my 1992 650SL to complete this? Does this pump come with a trim kit or is that an extra? A second topic I was wondering about is can I buy pre bored cylinders for the 750 fuji engine and do I need to change any electical if this is completed? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!
    Welcome to the Hulk.

As you can see, it is very possible to do. Actually Tenjuna is looking to do it on his 92 650.

All you'll need is the newer (94 and up) jet pump. Your driveshaft will work and steering cable too.

If you install a long jet pump, you'll need a steering cable extension, or a longer one all together.

You can always add trim to the ski. The pump doesn't come with it.

There's a guy selling prebored 750 cyls and pistons on Ebay presently. He's asking like $500 for the set if interested.

You can leave the 92 650 electrical intact, it was pretty good compared to later years.

You will need to change the carb jets for the 750, if it hasn't been done already.

you can easily tell if you have the original 146 pump or a newer 148.

look at the bolts that are in the 4 corners of the steering nozzle.

if the bolts are like an inch long, and taking them off only results in the steering nozzle coming off, you have the original 146.

if the bolts are long (and the pump has 3 sections - mount impeller stator), then you have the 148...if they are reaaaaly long (and the pump has 4 sections mount extension impeller stator), you have the extended pump.

I am in the process of scouting out 148 extended pumps, and I found a guy that has 2 extended pumps for $75 each, which is god awful cheap.

he will be sending me some pix of the 2 pumps he has, and he tells me they are in good working order and include the extended driveshaft.

if you want to get in on this, send me a pm.

cain

Thread Information