+1

FYI: September 15th is the deadline to have an operators card

All operators of powered watercraft used for recreational purposes within Canada will eventually require the card.The following three groups of boaters require the card IMMEDIATELY:

All operators of any powered watercraft under 4m in length (13.1ft)
    All operators of PWC's (i.e.: sea-doos and jet skis)
    All operators of any powered watercraft born after April 1, 1983
    As of September 15, 2009 all boaters will be required to have the Pleasure Craft Operator Card in order to operate a powered watercraft. There is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all boaters. Powered watercraft includes watercraft fitted with any size motor – even a trolling motor.

Recreational boating is a favourite pastime in Canada with between seven and nine million people enjoying Canadian waterways each year. Sadly, not every boating excursion is a return trip: Over 200 boating fatalities occur each year along with an estimated 6,000 non-fatal accidents – most of them preventable. The general public and pleasure boaters had expressed concern that anyone of any age could operate a watercraft without having any prior boating experience. The Pleasure Craft Operator Card regulations are an attempt to reduce the number of boating related accidents & fatalities. The goal of the program is to encourage boaters to evaluate their capabilities and limits, to prepare themselves adequately before heading out, and to be responsible on the water.
    Source(s):

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/

+1

PCOC - not feelin' any safer

So, I just administered the boat test to the wife, and honestly, without studying (much, if any) and without my help, she passed it. I'm not saying anything bad about her, just that it doesn't test any competency or ability. It's like asking someone what colour their car is for a driving exam. A little common sense, or a disregard for the testing procedure, and you can get a license to operate a boat. I personally like the part about being an invigilator and making sure people who are impaired or drunk don't write the test, like that might skew the results

Maybe it's a cash grab by the gov't, but with all the little companies administering it, how much money can it be raking in? And if it's not for the money, it sure as hell isn't making it any safer. I guess in theory it does, but c'mon, any one who's taken it must know of at least 1 or 2 people who faked their way through it.

I don't mind giving the Feds some of my hard earned money if it keeps us safe etc. (ok, so I do mind, but it's easier to swallow when it seems like you get something out of it), but this is so badly run, it's almost like another gun registry issue.

+1
    +1

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suspect the main benefit is going to be the ability of enforcement to take the boat operator's card away, after an infringement.

That, and the fact that your road driver's license is also at risk. Impaired boat operation is the same penalty as driving while impaired, and you lose your road license.

Once you have the boat card, and it gets taken away, you cannot write the exam again to get another one (as far as I know), so you are now off the water (at least for a while).

I wonder what the penalty is for operating a boat with a suspended boat card?

+1
    A good stern talking to

Thread Information