95 SLT750 starting issue

I replaced the entire engine with one from another ski after I threw a rod through my engine block. Had some issues with the propeller scraping, but believe I took care of that with some shims and frustration.

It seems that when I try to start it now, it cranks, but does not start. Two or three tries, and I have no power.

Unloaded the battery reads 12 - 13Volts. Any thoughts?

Also, Is the muffler after the exhaust manifold called the "water box". I see all of these references, but no connection between the two.

Secondly, is the muffler supposed to have water in it, or be dry?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like your battery is weak, and needs to be replaced. The acid test is to measure battery voltage while cranking. If it is under 10.6 volts while cranking, the battery is no good.

The water box is the 'muffler'. It works by routing the exhaust flow through the water that accumulates inside the water box.

At low RPM, the box partially fills with water, and keeps the exhaust quiet.

As RPM rises, the exhaust blows much of the water out the exhaust exit, and the engine breathes more freely.

There is a small water injection nozzle in the exhaust manifold, that sprays water directly into the exhaust gas flow. That water spray not only cools the exhaust so the rubber hoses don't melt, but it also helps control engine power, and reduce exhaust noise.

And that is the same water that is trapped by the water box at low RPM.

[quote=K447;1189587]Sounds like your battery is weak, and needs to be replaced. The acid test is to measure battery voltage while cranking. If it is under 10.6 volts while cranking, the battery is no good.

quote]

Yup, it was the battery. A bad Cell. Replaced and running... Thanks for the info on the waterbox.

Thread Information