Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New here need help

Hello, name is brandon. I've recently bought two skis - 96 XP and 97 GSI.
    The XP has given me some fits lately. It exhibited symptoms described in the fuel system cleaning thread and I have completed the task of cleaning and changing lines. Put it in the water yesterday and now it will not accept fuel at all. It idles fine but will not rev up as you feed it throttle. it will idle on the trailer and rev up on the trailer under no load. I am by no means a tuner and don't want to throw away good money. Any suggestions would be great. It does seem as if it is running rich. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Welcome to GH Brandon!

First off...it's only been 5 hours since your first post, you could be a little more patient. Really, you are getting free advice, if you want it on your terms you better cough up some $$$.

Have you changed the spark plugs? Pull them out and tell me what color they are.

Thanks for the welcome. Been watching movies with the kids. I'll pull them in the morning to see what we are looking at. Anything specific to look for? Don't know if it's like reading plugs in a car - read strap for heat and look down in the porcelin for a fuel ring and tiny aluminum diamonds for detonation. I also started looking at the mikuni manual - looks like it could be pop off pressure or jet size. Lot to learn.

Pulled plugs - just plain out black - porcelin and ring at threads. I'd say fouled plugs and running rich.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Good. You are spot-on with your diagnosis. It's either leaking needle and seats within the carbs, or corroded grounds preventing a good spark. The coil and MPEM are pretty reliable, if it hasn't been jumped or charged with more than 2 amps. Check the small ground that goes from the balack box to battery ground. Remove the top of the black box and inspect the bottom for dryness, then check the ground post at the bottom, within the box, for corrosion. Also check the plug at the top for pin or seat corrosion.

Or, just put a fresh set of plugs in it and see how she runs. BR8ES.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    did you clean the internal filters on the carbs?
    also btw what about the filter located by your storage bin?
    this could help narrow some problems

Yea - all filters are clean. Carbs and external. I bought some new plugs today, but had my children with me and decided to ride the GSI for reliability (no real time to tune on carbs or anything). When I have more adults with me I'll get it off the trailer and mess with it a little more. I'm thinking new plugs and adjusting the low speed screw may get me where I need to be but we'll see. The plugs that came out of it look like they could be cleaned up.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    good, keep us posted

+1
    Having had the same thing in a 95 recently, replaced the fuel selector and that help alot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information