Polaris VirageI EMM/Stator-Flywheel damage

Can hooking up a newly charged battery backwards on a 2003 Polaris Virage I, ruin the EMM? Can it also damage the stator/flywheel?
    After my dealer replaced the EMM, the stator flywheel broke down after 45 minutes of use.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What exactly failed after the EMM was replaced?

The flywheel itself, or the stator inside?

A backwards battery connection can also damage the protection diode inside the starter solenoid. If your starter solenoid has a black body, you should replace it with a brown bodied solenoid, which is the updated part.

Have a look here, and click below for more info
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

I am not sure. I only know that the dealer was in the process of preparing my jet ski for summer, one of their employees hooked up a new battery backwards after realizing that my battery was cooked.
    They then told me that my EMM was bad, replaced it.
    It then ran great for 45 minutes straight. It was docked and shut down like it was normal. Went to restart it an hour later and it never fired again. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the Stator and the Flywheel.
    They say on my paperwork (and i am not sure i can trust this) "Found the magnet on the flywheel had broken off and the stator was damaged"

I assume the EMM could easily be damaged by a backward wired battery. I am trying to see if it could also be linked to the flywheel/stator??

thansk

+1
    Magnet issue very common .Ask them if which flywheel they put in and where are the old parts? .Need the 12 magnet flywheel installed or it will happen again .Hope they paid for the Emm ?It won't cause the flywheel to crap itself

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Morris View Post
    ..."Found the magnet on the flywheel had broken off and the stator was damaged"

I assume the EMM could easily be damaged by a backward wired battery. I am trying to see if it could also be linked to the flywheel/stator?
    The flywheel magnet failure is not directly related to the EMM damage and the reversed battery.

The original six magnet Ficht flywheels are know to have the magnets become loose. It doesn't happen to every flywheel, but it does happen.

The prior posts also linked to this info, which explains the problem, and the preferred repair with a 12 magnet flywheel.

Do you know if the replacement flywheel was new stock from Polaris, and what the part number was?

The original 4010168 six magnet Ficht flywheels sometimes fail when the magnets become loose

Used from 1999-2004 on the two cylinder and three cylinder (1165cc) red fuel injected engines, the number 5000285 is embossed into the casting on the inside
    If any of the six the magnets shifts sideways, the result can be reduced electrical power for the EMM and injectors
    If the loose magnets get jammed against the stator, the resulting debris can damage both the stator and the CPS sensor
    You can try re-attaching the loose magnets, but it is difficult to get the repair to stay together

A better replacement flywheel seems to be the newer 4010646 twelve magnet Ficht flywheel, which was stock on the MSX 140 engine

The number 350146 is embossed into the casting on the inside, and a manufacturing date code is painted on the front
    Not only does it deliver a stronger electrical output, and the 12 rare earth magnets stay in place better, it also has deeper encoder ribs which may deliver a stronger signal to the CPS sensor. The teeth on the starter ring gear are harder wearing.

Bernie,
    My dealer admits to hooking up a newly charged battery backwards when they pulled it out of storage. They claim that since it started up after this, that they did not fry the EMM. I never saw the machine start. Is this believable, or are the odds virtually 100% that a backwards battery does fry the EMM? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Morris View Post
    ... My dealer admits to hooking up a newly charged battery backwards when they pulled it out of storage.

They claim that since it started up after this, that they did not fry the EMM.

I never saw the machine start. Is this believable, or are the odds virtually 100% that a backwards battery does fry the EMM? Thanks
    Call (don't email) DFI Technologies, and ask them.

They repair these EMM all the time, and know how they work internally.

DFI Technologies Inc.
    Repair and update of Ficht Fuel Injection (FFI) EMM used in Polaris Direct Injection (DI) PWC engines.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]
    DFI Technologies
    22638 Canal Rd
    Orange Beach, AL
    USA 36561
    1-866-298-1510
    +1 (251) 974-5210 Voice
    +1 (251) 974-5226 FAX

Thread Information