Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: speed limits

+1

speed limits

with all the performance muscle out there, i like to here what limits and restictions we have around the world , not the obvious no wake zones , certain # of ft. from shore , boats and bathers under bridges that stuff ,but real speed limits if any and does local law inforcement get you on radar, where do they hide?

+1
    Greenwood Lake NJ/NY has a daytime posted speed limit of 45mph. There are patrol boats on the lake but I have never heard of any speeding tickets given. I don't even know if they have radar. Most boats on that lake can't do over 50 anyway. Its kind of small (7miles long) There are a few fast ones though and no one bothers them or us on our PWC. Just don't be stupid and they leave you alone.

+1

45 mph

so they let you open up 60-80 they don,t break your #alls , just don,t do it around other boats, be in a isolated area?

crystal river florida.. recreational area is 35 max, May 1 thru August 31.. idle zone the rest of the year... River channel 'marked'..25 mph all year, idle zone outside the 'marked' channel...inside 1500 ft. offshore, in the Gulf ,25mph August 31 thru May 1.. All 'zones' are considered protected winter grounds for the Manattee..

radar, on the water and off via docks,also on the roads besides the long channels that run out along the river to the gulf..
    besides the sherriff (locals), and the FMP (state) , we have a coast guard station and 'federals' in the area too...( nuke plant). their chase boats are equipped with the finest and the locals use alot off smaller flats boats that look like fishing craft to hide....

Within 150ft of any shoreline its cruise only, anything else unless noted is without limits.

Moderated
    we also have open speed limits on the water in areas that are not marked otherwise

the usual restrictions are in place such as no wake zones etc...but other than that its all good.

+1
    Downtown Ottawa, 5kph. It is strictly enforced. I've seen the police hidding in little nooks to get guys who are going over.

+1

65mph

during boat certification the captain said without any posted limits its federal law 65 in u.s. but maybe in he ment out in nautical waters ,20-30 miles out, nothing in my state or federal hand book about a speed limit number,who knows

Michigan=55mph on all inland lakes unless posted lower and no limit on the Great Lakes

My father gave me a '95 WR111 650 that he got from his neighbor. Someone had taken it apart and quit. I got it in boxes. Ive built outboards before but never had a waverunner. Spent 5 years on and off putting it back together. Finaly got it running. On the third trip out I motored thru a manatee area got to the RESUME SPEED sign and floored it. About 5 min later I see out the corner of my eye a FWC officer lights on the whole 9 yards. Claims I was doing 60mph +(yeh right) I got the "do you know how fast you were going" I dont think a WR111 could do that if they dropped it off a bridge. Anyhow he sited me for not haveing my registration # properly spaced. Also said that the speed limit is 30 mph even in resume speed areas. He asked me if I had been stopped before.I'm 54 and have been out on the water since I was 13.Ive been hastled by more a hole marine cops than you can count. Once I was stopped by 5 different agentcys in one day. All supposed safety checks. This guy was the nastyest Ive come across. It seems like these guys hate skiers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information