Can I leave my jet ski in the water?

Hi, I have just moved to FL and have access to a canal in my back yard. Can I leave my 1996 polaris sl700 in the water at all times. It's not bottom painted but is that the only concern?

Thank you.

+1
    Personally, I would hoist it out. Your thru-hull bearing needs to be in tip top shape and your speedo-pickup, siphon, and water supply hoses all have to be perfectly sealed. If any of these are questionable in the least you run the risk of water intrusion and walking out to find a sunk ski.

KJ

How do icheck the thru hull bearing. I will momitor it for the first couple of days and after that if all is good then I will check it periodically.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You need to prevent leaks, of course, but corrosion and marine growth on the hull bottom should be the bigger concerns.

Best bet may be a drive on floating PWC dock. There are a number of different brands, and different designs.

Or one of the shoreline PWC stands with a winch to pull the ski out of the water.

Your 1996 through-hull drive shaft seal is twelve years old. If you want to depend on it being a reliable water seal, you should consider replacing the seals with new. Seals are not expensive, and not that hard to change them.

Your jet pump has a small sacrificial anode puck bolted on. That sacrificial anode is the only thing protecting the exposed aluminum jet pump components from corrosion while the hull is in salt water.

Make sure the anode is present, and in good condition. It will not protect anything if that anode does not have clean metal to metal contact with the jet pump body.

Salt water has tremendous corrosion power. The less time your hull spends in contact with salt water, the longer everything will last, and the less maintenance headaches your will have.

Consider a thorough fresh water rinsing and flushing after every ride, or as often as you can. The entire hull, inside and out, and the jet pump region, should be rinsed off. The engine cooling system should be reverse flushed.

If you can apply a protective product like salt-away when you are doing all this, even better. The interior of the engine cooling system is exposed to the salt water, and it will degrade over time of you do not keep it flushed and maintained.

Read the owner's and service manual regarding salt water operation. The maintenance requirements are much higher.

The engine internals are supposed to be fogged after every ride, and the through-hull bearing should be greased almost as often.

After the engine exterior has been rinsed down, and allowed to dry, it should be sprayed with a protective product (not WD-40).

Click here for guidance to help you keep your Polaris PWC on the water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    How do icheck the thru hull bearing. I will monitor it for the first couple of days and after that if all is good then I will check it periodically.

Thanks
    Well, the bearing is either good or not. If you get any water in the hull after a ride it's possible the bearing is letting a little water through or one of the mentioned hose fittings. Water can come from many different places, but any water in the hull means something is letting it come in.

If it were me, I would at minimum use a shore ramp. Here is one brand of ramp:

However, me being the constructive penny pincher type I would just build my own. I would get a couple of 2X6 treated boards (12' or 14' should do it) and either put outdoor rated carpet on them, or some kind of glide or roller. Either way you could build this for under $200 and have a nice rig for keeping your ski above water.

I would just hate the feeling of walking out the back door to jump on the ski only to find a set of handle bars sticking out the water. It's entirely possible you won't have any problems, but there are just too many variables that can make a sunk ski a distinct possibility.

KJ

+1
    One more thing. If the ski stays in the water all the time ,you don't have the chance to run the engine and blow the water out of the exhaust.

Keith has also made some very good points regarding the hull and corrosion.

KJ

my ski has thrust vectoring......does yours??? killcraft's Avatar
    not to mention barnacle growth which besides being annoying will also have a serious effect on the performance of the hull on the water as well as the stator and impeller.

Thread Information