Another Oil level issue...

I`ve noticed my oil level is increasing. After initial oil change and a good warm up, level was 1/2 to 2/3 between bends on stick. Put on a few good hours of riding (approx 6) and checked oil level and it`s slightly up over the top bend. So OK, I remove a bout 1/4 of a quart and bring level back down. Take ski out and warm up real good and check oil level, level is good again... Go out again and oput some more hours on it and the level is high again...Hmmmm What is going on??? could the crankase gases be adding that much to the oil level? Do I have a severe blow-by problem? The ski runs fine, no smoke, the oil doesn`t really smell like gas to much, not like the liquid that`s in the crankase hose...PR...

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Damn oil fairy, if only the gas fairy would stop by.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    I`ve noticed my oil level is increasing. After initial oil change and a good warm up, level was 1/2 to 2/3 between bends on stick. Put on a few good hours of riding (approx 6) and checked oil level and it`s slightly up over the top bend. So OK, I remove a bout 1/4 of a quart and bring level back down. Take ski out and warm up real good and check oil level, level is good again... Go out again and oput some more hours on it and the level is high again...Hmmmm What is going on??? could the crankase gases be adding that much to the oil level? Do I have a severe blow-by problem? The ski runs fine, no smoke, the oil doesn`t really smell like gas to much, not like the liquid that`s in the crankase hose...PR...
    Do you have an oil catch can installed? It sure does sound like "Blow By". We found that my ski had an extra litre of oil in it. This of course hurts the crankcase pressure and kills the performance. I am suprised that you are not having intermittent performance problems. How is your acceleration?

Quote Originally Posted by NCHeel
    Damn oil fairy, if only the gas fairy would stop by.
    too funny......maybe the gas fairy can bring along the money fairy as well.

I noticed the same thing in regards to the oil level being higher after running the machine for a significant, after an oil change. I was certain it was at the correct level when refilling, as I only put in what I took out ( a little less actually. After a good warm up the oil was right in the middle, but after going for a ride for a couple of hours it was way over the top bend. So I extracted some more and now it seems to be under the top bend. The wierd thing is that I did not notice a loss of performance before extracting more, or no improvement afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Do you have an oil catch can installed? It sure does sound like "Blow By". We found that my ski had an extra litre of oil in it. This of course hurts the crankcase pressure and kills the performance. I am suprised that you are not having intermittent performance problems. How is your acceleration?
    Phil: acceleration is maniacal! no performance loss, very easy to get to top speed and max rpm`s, 8100...PR...

I don`t have a catch can as of yet, but will do that soon, looking for the right one...

Thread Information