Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 slt750-after 14yrs and 180+ hrs

Hey guys,

Well it finally happened. After buying them new in 95 the PTO cylinder finally crapped out in one of the SLT 750s. The only thing we ever had to do was replace the fuel pump with the upgraded triple outlet pump. Never did a carb rebuild, but now we figure its probably time to do it.

BAsically, the front two cylinders still have 105 and 110 psi of compression cold, but the pto cylinder is fried. Here's a nice shot:

So I want some opinions on what to do. Here is an image of the head, does it look like it needs to be replaced or can I get away with it being honed:

What do you think, should I do an entire top end kit, replacing all 3 pistons, or just replace the PTO piston? AGain, i have 105 and 110 psi on the front two cylinders. Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scorp View Post
    Hey guys,

Well it finally happened. After buying them new in 95 the PTO cylinder finally crapped out in one of the SLT 750s. The only thing we ever had to do was replace the fuel pump with the upgraded triple outlet pump. Never did a carb rebuild, but now we figure its probably time to do it.

BAsically, the front two cylinders still have 105 and 110 psi of compression cold, but the pto cylinder is fried. Here's a nice shot:

So I want some opinions on what to do. Here is an image of the head, does it look like it needs to be replaced or can I get away with it being honed:

What do you think, should I do an entire top end kit, replacing all 3 pistons, or just replace the PTO piston? AGain, i have 105 and 110 psi on the front two cylinders. Thanks!
    Your going to have to do the lower end first, then I would just replace the one piston and head and bearings.

I'm a little confused,
    bottom end is ok, crank works fine, rods ok, is it because of age and hours to redo the bottom end i was hoping to keep cost (and work)to a minimum. I was thinking
    top end kit and carb rebuild?

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by scorp View Post
    I was thinking
    top end kit and carb rebuild?
    I second that. You can do all three and have peace of mind that you won't lose the center or mag next year during peak time, or do the one. I have done one before with no issues yet knock on wood.

You can get away with running that head too. Just clean it up a little bit to smooth off the high spots. Some guys will tell you no way, but I bet you won't notice any power difference. I've run heads like that before, never noticed a difference in power on a rec machine. If it was a all out race boat then yeah everything perfect is the way to go. Anyways it looks like a ring broke. With that many hours I'd probably at least check the other pistons for cracks on the skirts, probably replace them, check your bores for round / size before you order pistons in case they need to be bored oversize (I don't think that has nicasil cylinders).
    Corey

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CumminsAholic View Post
    You can get away with running that head too. Just clean it up a little bit to smooth off the high spots. Some guys will tell you no way, but I bet you won't notice any power difference. I've run heads like that before, never noticed a difference in power on a rec machine. If it was a all out race boat then yeah everything perfect is the way to go. Anyways it looks like a ring broke. With that many hours I'd probably at least check the other pistons for cracks on the skirts, probably replace them, check your bores for round / size before you order pistons in case they need to be bored oversize (I don't think that has nicasil cylinders).
    Corey
    Good advice, just regular cylinders

yep thats the way i see it

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Definately something got in the combustion chamber causing that damage. You need to see if it was a ring or a bearing.

Make sure no metal got into the crank bearings.

Personally, I'd inspect the other 2 cyls. If they look good, I'd re-hone and re-ring them. Then just replace the bad one. If they look bad, new top end kit.

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsAholic View Post
    Anyways it looks like a ring broke. With that many hours I'd probably at least check the other pistons for cracks on the skirts, probably replace them, check your bores for round / size before you order pistons in case they need to be bored oversize (I don't think that has nicasil cylinders).
    Corey
    Corey,

How can you tell if a ring broke vs. say it being a fuel delivery issue? This looks painfully similar to the way the PTO cylinder looked in the sl900 when it burned up, and that was due to a dirty carb. It would be good housekeeping to just get the carbs rebuilt now because of the hours anyway, right?

It seems crazy that this top end went on this one and the other SLT bought at the exact same time with even more hours (over 300) is still on the original top end and had never had any carb work done.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    See all those indetntations in the dome and head?

That won't happen from a dirty carb.

Lean= material being eroded away. Like the hole in the center.

Remove the cylinder and inspect the piston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information