Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how to fix faded gelcoat on 07 rxp

Just got my 07 rxp back from having the engine rebuilt and while it was down the guy left it outside and the sun faded the front nose part of the gelcoat and the plastics on the hood. The ski is black and I can notice it a lot. How do I go about bringing the shine back? I tried some attwood marine polish from wallyworld on the nose and it helped a little, but its still kind of flat and dull. There was also black coming off the ski onto the rag, is that normal? Am I taking the paint off or something? What's best for the plastics? Thanks.

+1
    take it to a detail shop and send the bill to the guy that left it outside with no cover on it

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1

sunfade

You need a high speed polisher set on about #2 or #3 speed,1500 or 2000 grit wetsand paper,Meguires HEAVY CUT cleaner @ NAPA and a good gloss polish also and a spray bottle of water...and some common sense and the gelcoat will come back

good luck

Ok, so I can use a rubbing compound/polish/wax that is for cars on the gelcoat?

Use this stuff. I used it on my 06 RXT and my friends 2001 RX. Cant belive the results. And it was so easy. THIS STUFF WORKS. Little pricey. You'll love it. Just read the directions carefully.

http://www.prestoprotech.com/Boat_Care.html

+1
    basically the outer layer of the gelcoat has oxidized, thus the white chalky layer making your ski look faded.
    luckily, gelcoat is much much thicker than regular car paint, so theres plenty of material to work with.
    what you need to do is sand or polish the old white layer of gelcoat off, to reveal the fresh clean gelcoat underneath.
    same concept as polishing a car. if you know on a car you polish with a claybar or polishing compound , then you wax after you have removed all the old impurities.
    same concept on a ski.
    you can actually wetsand if you have to on the gelcoat.
    start with like 800 grit, then go to 1200 then go to 2000, then use a light polishing compound with a buffer wheel, then a good waxing.
    it can come out better than new, hard part is all the angles and edges.
    if its not that bad just use the polishing compound.

+1
    i just reread your post, someone else left it outside uncovered??
    seriously consider asking him to pay for a boat detailer to come and refinish the ski.
    thats not right.
    should only cost 100-200 bux and they will know how to refinish gelcoat properly.

+1
    dr len,
    your presto stuff looks promising, except down in the instructions it says for oxidized surfaces,
    will work good,but works even better if compounded first.
    makes sense.
    ing this product For best results on oxidized Surfaces. Applying this product directly to oxidized surfaces will rejuvenate faded colors. This product is colorless and does not replace or repair missing or damaged color. Oxidation absorbs this product like a sponge and will decrease coverage. Where iron oxide is black or brown in color, plastic oxide, such as oxidized gelcoat is white. For best coverage and highest gloss results, oxidation should be compounded off by using a wax-free compound. The higher the surface gloss is before application, the higher the final gloss will bedirectly to oxidized surfaces will rejuvenate faded colors. This product is colorless and does not replace or repair missing or damaged color. Oxidation absorbs this product like a sponge and will decrease coverage. Where iron oxide is black or brown in color, plastic oxide, such as oxidized gelcoat is white. For best coverage and highest gloss results, oxidation should be compounded off by using a wax-free compound. The higher the surface gloss is before application, the higher the final gloss will be
    For best results on oxidized Surfaces. Applying this product directly to oxidized surfaces will rejuvenate faded colors. This product is colorless and does not replace or repair missing or damaged color. Oxidation absorbs this product like a sponge and will decrease coverage. Where iron oxide is black or brown in color, plastic oxide, such as oxidized gelcoat is white. For best coverage and highest gloss results, oxidation should be compounded off by using a wax-free compound. The higher the surface gloss is before application, the higher the final gloss will be

Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    i just reread your post, someone else left it outside uncovered??
    seriously consider asking him to pay for a boat detailer to come and refinish the ski.
    thats not right.
    should only cost 100-200 bux and they will know how to refinish gelcoat properly.
    Yea, the mechanic left it outside while he was rebuilding the engine for about a month. It's only faded in two little areas on the left and right side of the nose, rest of the ski is fine. It's not that bad, but I am a perfectionist and it bugs the hell out of me. I can just barley notice a slight dulling when I finished polishing. It was never oxidized bad enough to where it turned white, it was just flat black/dull kind of looking instead of a deep gloss like the rest of the ski.

+1
    Best thing to do IMO is wetsand the oxidized/damaged gelcoat off then polish. Many of thos miracle cures only oil up the Gel making it look good for a while until it bleeds out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information