Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1

My "new" Sharp's Marine 1010 Pro 785

WARNING: LONG POST!!

Well today was the first time this boat has seen Texas waters. I think I might have to nickname it "The Bitch" because it sort of is one. All and all, the boat flat out pulls like a raped ape, when it ran right.

At first, the boat wouldn't rev past 6800 RPMs. I thought maybe it was just some bad gas that was left in the system so I rode it a bit to see if the old gas blew out. It kept not revving all the way. Of course, it was probably something simple and it was. I replaced the plugs (which were BR8ES...I thought the Pros liked BR9ES plugs??) and it still didn't rev much. Then I remembered Jason (the old owner) said the spark plug boots must be worn so they kept unsnapping from the spark plugs...so it would run like a bat outta hell until I would hit a wake and suddenly one cylinder would stop firing. I zip tied the boots on and it helped a little bit.

The boat has so much power, that the prop just spins sometimes when taking off from a stop. The mid range and top end of this thing is amazing. On smooth water when it wasn't jumping out of the water, it hit up to 8100 RPMs. I think the '98 might have a little better low end, but there were a few times the 1010 just flat out took off from a dead stop and would have for sure raped the '98 all the way up to the top.

Couple of problems:

I'm quite sure that the reason for the prop spinning off the line is cavitation. There is some old intake grill in there right now..not even the R&D intake grate. Second, the Hot Seat ride plate isn't sealed up against the hull very well at all. Hell, there is a stock aluminum 5 vane stator that is horribly eaten up on the vanes. My '98 was like that too and when I replaced it with a stainless 6 vane, it helped out tremendously.

The fitting that senses the pressure to calculate the speed is missing. There is just a bolt that is in it's place right now. I want to eventually hook that up so I know my dream-o-meter speed.

The fuel gauge shows that I'm only 3/4 when I'm full and empty when I'm 1/4 full. It also leaks a little bit of gas at the fuel pickup area.

The through-hull fitting seems to be in bad shape. The epoxy or silicone that holds the actual fitting is loose and the fitting has basically separated from the hull. You can see in the picture below, though the actual seals are new.

There appears to be a crack in the weld on one of the pipes. The crack is in the water jacket and you can see where the water seems to have been flowing out of it. Can I still ride on this for a couple of more days or should it really be repaired because it will get worse? I have NO idea where I can get that repaired at! Any help there?! How can I pressure test the pipes??

The trim doesn't work. It was stuck in the full up position and I was able to move it so it was at neutral by lifting up on the clutch assembly and pulling the trim nozzle down. I will probably attempt to take the trim motor assembly apart and see if it is rusted up and try and free it up with some WD-40.

There is not a front tray so there is a lot of water that comes in through the hood hinge area. The rest of the hood is sealed with some weatherstripping but I will eventually get that tray so I can better seal up the hood.

All in all, the boat is pretty nice. It might take some TLC for me to get it how I want it, but that will happen in due time. See pics below!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3703.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	941.0 KB 
ID:	148228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3704.JPG 
Views:	171 
Size:	975.5 KB 
ID:	148229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3705.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	148230   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3709.JPG 
Views:	213 
Size:	1,014.9 KB 
ID:	148234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3710.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	1,005.5 KB 
ID:	148235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3711.JPG 
Views:	328 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	148236  

+1
    More pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3713.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	947.7 KB 
ID:	148239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3717.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	975.6 KB 
ID:	148240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3724.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1,011.0 KB 
ID:	148241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3721.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	1,017.5 KB 
ID:	148250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3728.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	148251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3733.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	148252  

+1
    Get that 5 vein pump out of that ski. When you put in the 6 you will feel it pull harder on the bottom for sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Get that 5 vein pump out of that ski. When you put in the 6 you will feel it pull harder on the bottom for sure.
    Do you think I should go "larger" than the 6 vane? Maybe a 7 or even an 8 vane? I know this thing has the power...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    Do you think I should go "larger" than the 6 vane? Maybe a 7 or even an 8 vane? I know this thing has the power...

I think I would stick with a 6. It is a great all around unit. It will still give you top speed and will hook up very well. The 8 will load down the engine alot. Good luck on finding a 7 or prying it out of some peoples hands I would pull the 6 out of your other ski then you can see the difference. That 5 you have in there is way jacked up.

+1
    Al and I put in my 5 vein unit in the STLX with the tripple pipes and it sucked. There were guys I use to beat on the RXP's out @ the lake in some rough water and they were killing me since it would not stay hooked up. We put in the 5 vein to do some smooth water speed tests over the 6 but did not get a chance to put it on the GPS.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Al and I put in my 5 vein unit in the STLX with the tripple pipes and it sucked. There were guys I use to beat on the RXP's out @ the lake in some rough water and they were killing me since it would not stay hooked up. We put in the 5 vein to do some smooth water speed tests over the 6 but did not get a chance to put it on the GPS.
    I think I will stick with a 6 vane and maybe one day experiment with an 8 vane to see how it handles.

Though now I might have to try out a NuJet 6.0 and see how it performs with this boat.

Anyone have any idea about the drive shaft hull fitting? Maybe just epoxy it back into place??

Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    Anyone have any idea about the drive shaft hull fitting? Maybe just epoxy it back into place??
    Have you considered using some of that cool marine putty stuff?

I have a question about your pissers. I have the same exact ones that I am about to put on my SL900. Do you like the 90 degree or would you go back and use the 45 degree? Also, you have them both in the same location on both of your skis. Do you feel that is the best place for them?

Thanks

Turk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turk0004 View Post
    Have you considered using some of that cool marine putty stuff?

I have a question about your pissers. I have the same exact ones that I am about to put on my SL900. Do you like the 90 degree or would you go back and use the 45 degree? Also, you have them both in the same location on both of your skis. Do you feel that is the best place for them?

Thanks

Turk
    The pissers on the front are the stock ones that came on all Pro 785s. The location is okay, but I wouldn't mind having it somewhere I could feel the water temperature.

RizzO
    +1
    Do you miss not having A splash guard? That looks like A 2000, but in your description it sayz 1997? It looks great whatever year it is though!! I hope you get the pump figured out. Good luck.

RiZ

Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information