Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: plastic pump

plastic pump

i have a 2003 sportster 4 tec 155 hp.
    pump is plastic and has a couple broken tines which i cut off. installed new wear ring and rebuilt impeller from impros. doesnt seam to have power as when new, semi cavitates. also changed carbon seal.
    thinking of going to aluminum pump. which yr @ model do i go with, and do i just change pump or do i have to change shaft and bearings,
    is there a noticeable improvement?
    thanks for the help

if it now has vanes missing in the pump body, you need to change the pump as it's marginally strong enough with all of it there. I would highly recommend finding a complete used aluminum pump in the classifieds. The only part that will interchange between the plastic and aluminum pump is the cone, impeller, and wear ring (pump shaft is different). Use your impeller and a new wear ring for your application.

I also have a 2003 GTX 4tec with the 155hp NA engine. I just ordered the replacement metal (aluminum) impeller housing for about $200 through the Greenhulk OE Replacement Parts Store link at the top of this forum page. I was upgrading some other items and decided to go ahead and spend the cash to upgrade the housing. Jerry was very helpful in making sure I get the aluminum, not plastic housing when I ordered. If I heard him correctly, he said that Seadoo is no longer making the plastic housing and if you order a new 2003 housing, it comes in metal only.

thanks

thanks for the help
    i think ill go new everything

just want to make sure that you know that the pump shaft in the plastic housing is different from the shaft in the aluminum housing, you'll need that too.

GTXX - I've read through lots of the threads about the plastic to aluminum impeller housing and I thought everything was the same? (kinda hard to tell as I see different information). It sounded like people were using 2004 aluminum housings to replace 2003 plastic housings with no other changes required. So, you are saying I actually need to order additional parts? Besides what you mentioned already, do you happen to know where I can find out exactly what all parts I need to order in addition to the housing? I sure want to get this right, thanks.

you can swap the entire pump assemblies out with no problem, but the shaft in the plastic and aluminum pumps are different part numbers, that prevents you from swapping the guts of the pumps. Also, a bare aluminum pump body is more than $200, something may be going on there. I've done this a couple of times and used a used aluminum assembly both times. It will cost $700+ to build a new aluminum pump, maybe less if some of the small parts can be used from the plastic pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by m1dtom View Post
    i have a 2003 sportster 4 tec 155 hp.
    pump is plastic and has a couple broken tines which i cut off. installed new wear ring and rebuilt impeller from impros. doesnt seam to have power as when new, semi cavitates. also changed carbon seal.
    thinking of going to aluminum pump. which yr @ model do i go with, and do i just change pump or do i have to change shaft and bearings,
    is there a noticeable improvement?
    thanks for the help
    I have a 04 sportster and put an aluminum pump off a 08 155hp. Got change wear ring pump shaf and bearings. I'm on my phone after work iLl post more info

if you want to confirm what I have told you, I suggest that you get Jerry to contact his OEM parts supplier and have them research this for you.

GTXX - Hey, I just swapped emails with Jerry and he says I am getting a 2003 GTX 155hp NA aluminum replacement impeller housing, as Seadoo no longer makes the plastic housing, and that I should be good to use the parts I have now. The cost for the new OEM replacement housing is only about $200 from the Greenhulk OE Replacement Parts Store link. I guess once I receive and try to put it together I will find out if I need other parts, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information