Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

FZ Ride Plate Modded by JIM'S PERFORMANCE--TEST RESULTS

First of all, this is the first time I have really tested anything (seriously) and had some help from Jim as well as others on the forum as to how to do this properly. My goal of these tests was to find what individual changes made to my ski netted. I hope I did it right.

Recently, I installed my modified by JIM'S PERFORMANCE ride plate and did some testing. I would like to note that I met Jim through this forum and have only talked to him a couple times on the phone and do not personally know him.

A little over a week after I sent him my stock plate, I received it back modified. I do not know what he does to the plate and any questions regarding specifically what he did to my plate should be directed to Jim. I will say that Jim described the mods he did to my plate as a balanced plate--it is supposed to give handling AND speed gains but balanced.

All speeds listed below were taken with my Garmin GPS276C (it's big but all I have). The way I tested was to make one change to my ski and then make anywhere from five to 14 runs to see what the change did (documenting the top speed of each run). I live on a lake in NE Indiana and that is where I ride. I weigh 260 pounds so if you are smaller than me, the improvements will be more than I saw.

My previous best speed with the mods done to the ski prior to installing the modded plate was 67.3 (with stock plate spacers). I made no other changes to my ski prior to installing the modded plate (and that was hard because I had a new prop and the HKS BOV just sitting by the ski while the ski was out of the water).

Basically, I did three sets of tests with one change made to the ski prior to each test:
    1. Modded ride plate installed (no shims and without the stock spacers)--Conditions were good with smooth water, very little wind, 65° F ambient and the tank was topped-off full prior to starting. Made six runs with best being 68.3 (also had a 68.0) so installing the plate ONLY netted me exactly 1 MPH on my ski! Cool thing is there is more left in the plate as I was schooled some on shimming. I feel it's important to note that my best previous speed was 67.3 with two bars of fuel and this speed was with a full tank.

2. Installed my new DF 13/22R impeller at this time. Jim and I felt this was the natural next step in testing as I was on the limiter with my mods and stock impeller. Conditions were good and I had three bars of fuel. Made 14 runs with a best speed after installing this impeller of 70.6 or 2.3 better than the modded plate speed above. I feel some of this increase in speed should be contirbuted to the plate as well as the impeller--that's just my opinion. Incidentally, RPM's were not down much--maybe 100 RPM's??? It's hard for me to see exactly what the stock tach is doing when I need to watch the water at speed... Kind of thinking I should have got a bit more prop now for the C3 and Powershot that will go on in a bit.

3. I shimmed the plate .045". Conditions were good with one to two bars. The testing had some problems at this point but I find it interesting. I made five runs and had two runs that were back to back at 70.5. I didn't understand this as Jim said there would be gains in speed regarding shimming. When I went to pull the ski out of the water, I realized I didn't have any water coming out of the starboard pisser (the one for the intercooler). I can only imagine that there was no water flowing through the IC during this test as the speeds were not where they should have been. I will update this thread with speeds when I get the IC problem solved. I can only ask myself how much slower the ski goes without any IC cooling--and I only lost one tenth of an MPH after shimming the plate! Prior to installing the R & D Cooling kit a month ago or so, I used to see about one MPH loss with heat soaking.
    Never once did the ski do anything even close to bucking with Jim's plate installed. The ski felt the same with the .045" shims installed in the front of the plate as it did without the shims.

I am not even close to the level of rider that most are at on this forum. That said, regarding handling I will note that the ski felt a little different upon taking waves. I would not say it porpoised but it did very slightly "bob" a bit after hitting a wave and this did not happen before the plate was modded. IMO, this is not a problem and did not detract from handling. I took waves straight on and at an angle, came out of the water at top speed, etc... and the ski did not do anything other than inspire confidence (my ski has never acted any way other than this). I found it harder to get the back-end of the ski to come out of the water when turning hard at low speed and grabbing a hand-ful of gas. I also made WOT turning runs and it tracked great and felt awesome.

I apologize for two things: The length of this post and the IC being plugged. Length of the post was IMO necessary to get the facts out there all together. IC clogging problem was out of my control but I will post speeds as soon as I can of the shimmed plate.

Thanks to all on Green Hulk.

+1
    Great factual feedback, thanks.....

Great write up!! Goodluck getting your ski fixed and I look forward to your results.

+1
    Good feedback. One suggestions though. IMO it would really only be fair to compare Jim's modded plate with no spacers to a stock plate with no spacers. There is quite a bit of speed to be had from just removing the stock spacers on the stock plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Good feedback. One suggestions though. IMO it would really only be fair to compare Jim's modded plate with no spacers to a stock plate with no spacers. There is quite a bit of speed to be had from just removing the stock spacers on the stock plate.
    You're killing me Hitman!

Your point makes sense, though.

I put the ski in and out so many times this weekend that my neighbors were laughing when I went by. Some asked if my new ski was broke already...

+1
    He modded your stocker right? Maybe someone here can send you their unmodded stocker to do a back to back test with now that your impeller is in.

The only true way to test is to do back to back, with NO other changes. I'm sure Jim's cut gave you more speed, but you have to realize part of your gain was due to removing the stock shims. Subtract that out of the equation and now you have your true results.

Very good results with the impeller though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    He modded your stocker right? Maybe someone here can send you their unmodded stocker to do a back to back test with now that your impeller is in.
    Yes, Jim modded my stock plate. I have to admit that I didn't even know what the shims were or looked like until I took my plate off to send it to Jim.

What I really wanted to do was test the impeller with a stock ride plate BEFORE I got Jim's plate but no one around me has an FZ-based ski.

I would guess that people with FZ's that have removed the shims could tell us what gains in speed have been recorded.

What will be interesting to me will be what the gains are when I get the IC issue un-screwed and can get a good test on the shimmed plate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post

.........I would guess that people with FZ's that have removed the shims could tell us what gains in speed have been recorded.
    2.3mph gain in my case. Same condition & back to back tests. Shims removed and front bolts with 0.062" spacers.

+1
    Not sure how much material Jim took off your plate or what your weather/elevation is like but your setup should be good for 72 during the summer.

Did you check the pitch on your prop before intalling it? We've seen a couple measure out 21 instead of 22 in a pitch gauge.

Thank you for the feedback. The testing however is quite inconclusive for 2 reasons. First the stock plate was tested with shims installed and Jims was tested with no shims. Second, the stock plate was tested with 2 bars of fuel and Jims was tested with a full load of fuel. The fuel load alone in most ski's can make a 2+ mph difference so your test is really not telling us much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information