New Project Repair?

**(Update: Photos Added)**
    So I picked up a 2000 GP1200r for a great deal.
    But it has slight damage to the hull, so much where fiberglass is showing and it feels flimsy, but there isn't a hole.

Should I use Marine Tex to fix it as I have found everyone to be using?
    Last edited by Surf Junkie; 09-01-2009 at 11:17 AM.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    I would only use Marine Tex to fill a small scratch or level out a small surface. For structural support (feels flimsy) you NEED to layer in new fiberglass mat with an EPOXY based resin. Do NOT use a polyester resin b/c it will NOT stick. Contact "Piston" he is a new member but has demonstrated great talent in significant glass repair.

Good Luck

If you can not do the glass yourself then pay some one to do it. Marine Tex is too brittle and is not to be used to replace fiberglass.

Also Post PICS
    Last edited by christian79; 08-31-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Pics Request

Here are pics. The damage is on the front left by the numbers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't started on mine yet, but have a similar situation in the front. I was concerned about not being able to get underneath the damage to work, but my friend with experience says it shouldn't be too bad with a grinder to grind out the bad part instead of cutting a hole and that the resin will soak into the leftover fibers and harden them up. There's a pretty good thread in here somewhere (and I'm sure there are many) with pics of the whole process and the kits also have instructions.

I also went on West Marine website and found a video with step-by-step instructions of how to use the product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	148518  

Quote Originally Posted by Martimouse2 View Post
    I haven't started on mine yet, but have a similar situation in the front. I was concerned about not being able to get underneath the damage to work, but my friend with experience says it shouldn't be too bad with a grinder to grind out the bad part instead of cutting a hole and that the resin will soak into the leftover fibers and harden them up. There's a pretty good thread in here somewhere (and I'm sure there are many) with pics of the whole process and the kits also have instructions.

I also went on West Marine website and found a video with step-by-step instructions of how to use the product.
    Cool. Are you talking about the West System Epoxy Resin??

Right - I've read on here though that you need to make sure you're using the right product for your ski. The older skis can use different stuff than the newer ones that are SMC hulls and should definitely use an epoxy resin. Someone will jump in here sooner or later and set you straight, but a thread search should get you the answers you need.

Im definatly no expert here but I'll try to help if I can.

Thats going to be a SMC hull so use Sheet fiberglass, SMC Epoxy Resin and duraglass as a filler.

In your case I would gently grind out any loose or flaking material until you get back into some solid fiberglass. Unfortunatly its in a sealed area , so you can't get to the backside to reinforce it. Feather all edges at least 3-4 inches if not more. After that is done, use sheet fiberglass and start cutting out filler patches. You'll want to start with the thinest area first, cut small patches then gradually go larger and larger until you're new surface is just slighly taller than the original surface. Sand and smooth the area as best you can then smooth the area with Duraglass. Sand the entire area, primer and paint (or gelcoat if you choose).

Thread Information