Stock 03 SC Limited GTX - what to do ?

Hey All - I have a stock 2003 GTX Limited S/C that I want to get more power out of.....w/out breaking the bank!

1) What would you reccomend first? I've posted about an issue I've had(hitting rev limiter on holeshot) and I think that means a new Impeller....which one is best for this machine?

2) Can I get rid of some "stuff" like the intake baffle etc. without hurting the ski? Should I take the rear storage bin out so some heat can escape?

I just figure since this is new to me it's not to alot of you and your experience can put me in the fast lane!!!

BTW - Awesome Site!

Hitting the rev-limiter on hole shot may mean just a worn wear ring. Increasing the power/speed can mean new pistons, flywheel, SC, ECU, intercooler, new pump, drive shaft. If you like the ski and don't want to pump lots of money ito it, change the wear ring and see where you are. Otherwise, expect to spend $2-k to $3-k on used parts to get it to where the RXTs are... Ron

+1
    A reasonably low budget while conserving reliability would include the biggest prop available (for mass users) for the GTX (13/20R I believe), an external intercooler, a 4" front air intake, and a Riva Gen II wheel (or green wheel or rotax racing 'high boost' wheel). Items needed for this level of modification that could most likely be found used for cheap are 42# fuel injectors and a 58 psi fuel regulator. Without swapping to the 215 pump, you may have to bend the prop a lot to maximize performance. If your wear ring is worn, remove it and flip it in order to use the untouched side.

ok so the reality is how fast do you want to go? 65-70? 70-74? 74+ ?

Stage 1 will wake it up but stage2+ will cost you...

GTX = BOAT
    BOAT = bring on another thousand

I had the 04 and would never spend that kind of money again ... still never got what i wanted out of it

kane look at the mods section -- there are a number of free or cheap mods you can do -- what hp is your ski ( i have a 07 gtx but not sure what the 03's came with ) if its a 215 hp and you go with a stage one kit and add a IC and 42 injectors and a greenwheel you will need a 14/19 impeller

+1
    does your ski have the plastic pump housing, or aluminum???
    if its plastic, highly adviseable to upgrade to an aluminum housing, to eliminate the cavitation issue.
    with some basic mods, 1000-1500 bux you can get noticeable improvement in handling holeshot performance and top speed.
    stock the ski is good for about 61 mph, after basic mods you can get 65-66.
    so you gotta figure out if thats worth it for you to do or not.
    or just get your stock ski, running tight and good, and its a fun ski at 61 with good holeshot, good enough...
    theres alot faster skis out there, but they also cost 2X as much to buy

+1
    kane--You have a fun boat to mess around with. I have been messing with my 2006 GTX 185hp for sometime now. If you have a plastic pump--you do need to get an aluminum one. They can be purchased here on the classifieds for a reasonable price. As far as the mods--not counting what you might pay for the pump--you can have your boat to mid 60s to lower seventies for less than $1,500 (mid 60s will cost you about $400 to $700. PM me and I will be glad to take you step by step. You dont want a front air intake or an intercooler. Look at my signature for what I have done totally. The reason I want to do this by PM--its not that I have any secrets--there are just too many nay sayers about these boats with cast pistons and some other so called issues which are not true. I have over 118 hours with no issues. Let me know--I will be glad to help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    kane--You have a fun boat to mess around with. I have been messing with my 2006 GTX 185hp for sometime now. If you have a plastic pump--you do need to get an aluminum one. They can be purchased here on the classifieds for a reasonable price. As far as the mods--not counting what you might pay for the pump--you can have your boat to mid 60s to lower seventies for less than $1,500 (mid 60s will cost you about $400 to $700. PM me and I will be glad to take you step by step. You dont want a front air intake or an intercooler. Look at my signature for what I have done totally. The reason I want to do this by PM--its not that I have any secrets--there are just too many nay sayers about these boats with cast pistons and some other so called issues which are not true. I have over 118 hours with no issues. Let me know--I will be glad to help.
    No "nay-sayer" here, my friend. Keep up the good work. --J

Thread Information