2004 RXP Questions

I have a 2004 RXP and a couple questions. I recently took it out after having not rode it for over a month. Idle seemed OK at first. I hit the throttle and it had little power and only maxxed out at about 40 mph and 6000 rpms. I knew there was something wrong so I headed back to dock. On the way back I noticed it would surge on occasion. It also shook and vibrated pretty bad, but only for a few seconds occasionally. The idle on the way back would also occasionally drop to 1500 rpm and seem like it wanted to stall. I was in deep water when I originall hit the throttle, so I thought the chances of something stuck in the pump were low. After researching this forum I was terrified I lost a ceramic washer on the supercharger. However, I took the intake hose off the supercharger and it would not spin freely. Thank God. Idle rpm out of the water seemed to be OK. Idle rpm would only drop with water resistance in the pump.

I changed the spark plugs this weekend and it seems to have fixed the idle issue. I idled around with a little throttle and everything seemed like it was normal again. However, I am too terrified to ride it again until I replace the ceramic washers. Now for my questions.

1. Would a bad spark plug cause these types of symptoms?

2. Would it be safe to ride it to the boat ramp at just over on plane speed (20 mph) and not be at too much risk of losing a ceramic washer? I live a couple miles from the boat ramp and really don't want to tow the RXP.

I have over 120 hours on my RXP with ceramic washers. I guess I will consider myself lucky after reading the forums. Needless to say I will be rebuilding the supercharger imminently. Thanks for everyone's help.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk..

Q #1 yes spark plugs will do that

Q #2 can you pull the charger where it is at? if no you will be fine to do a gentle ride to the ramp.

Thanks for the response. I have the RXP on a jet ski ramp at the moment. I could probably pull the supercharger with it on the ramp. However, with only a couple weeks left in the season, I am debating whether I should just take it out and have the dealer do the rebuild when I get it winterized. I am not much of a mechanic and pulling the supercharger would be by far the most technical thing I have ever done with an engine. My other concern is reinstalling the supercharger after its rebuilt. If I struggle with the reinstall and it starts getting below freezing around here, could I still drive it to the ramp without the supercharger or would I have to tow it. Thanks.

If it has the OEM SC washers and they failed, expect a big bill from the dealer if they do it right... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by jjspyder View Post
    My other concern is reinstalling the supercharger after its rebuilt. If I struggle with the reinstall and it starts getting below freezing around here, could I still drive it to the ramp without the supercharger or would I have to tow it. Thanks.
    I don't think you are going to be able to run the ski without the S/C installed. It leaves a 2" hole in the engine/pto cover.

Thread Information