Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User

Your Top Three Reasons For Considering a Four Stroke

I kind of scratch my head at all these people buying whale sized supercharged four stroke machines, spending about $15k+ (including mods) to go 80 mph, when you can spend $4k on a big bore GPR (that is total cost, including the ski btw) and do the same thing. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    I kind of scratch my head at all these people buying whale sized supercharged four stroke machines, spending about $15k+ (including mods) to go 80 mph, when you can spend $4k on a big bore GPR (that is total cost, including the ski btw) and do the same thing. Am I missing something?
    I am a two stroke fan. But if I had to list three reasons for getting a four stroke they would be:

1. Lower overall cost to maintain (do not need to buy 2-stroke oil, longer life between rebuilds, use less gasoline)

2. 4-stroke Torque leads to great holeshot.

3. New four-strokes have very high performance ceilings. You can make a four-stroke that has great holeshot and still hits 85 mph. It is harder to make a GPR get those kind of top end speeds without sacrificing holeshot.

And also... the new crop of four-strokes look amazing (FZR, I am talking about you.

Just my opinion.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by o uncola o View Post
    1. Lower overall cost to maintain (do not need to buy 2-stroke oil, longer life between rebuilds, use less gasoline)
    Longer life between rebuilds, yes, but when you do have to rebuild, it's going to be alot more expensive. O&M can also be high because the sc engines are more complex, with more potential to break parts (see some of the recent threads in the four stroke section). A mildly tuned two stroke can go 200 hours with very little maintenance.

2. 4-stroke Torque leads to great holeshot.
    The sc four strokes make more power and torque, but they also have larger hulls to push through the water, and up to double the weight. How do the acceleration numbers really compare? You can make a GPR a holeshot monster, although granted you will lose some top end.

You are preaching to a guy who really likes two-strokes. They are fun to ride.

Still think that the 4-strokes are faster though. The FZR is a bigger and heavier hull. But it rides a lot smaller than it is. Plus, if can make massive power.

Just look at the RXP-Xs out there... they have crazy holeshot.

Point is, I think that people have good reasons for going with the newer 4-strokes.

Banned User
    They have money to burn

3 reasons....

I can sum it up in three reasons:

1. The 66V series engine sucks.....crank snouts break!!!

2. The 66V series engine sucks.....power/gas valves break

3. The 66V series engine sucks.....it shakes and rattles like a #@#$%

After you have 1 or more or all of these problems happen twice each then you will be in same boat as me.....

My new four stroke will be in a GPR hull.......

Banned User
    How many hours did you get before your crank let go? I've heard it's usually about 150-200

Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    How many hours did you get before your crank let go? I've heard it's usually about 150-200
    The first time it went out of phase in about 25 hours, the second time #1 rod bearing went out after about 30 hours.....broke cases and two cylinders.....

Not hearing any 1800's doing this.....
    Last edited by OutlawGPR; 08-31-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: w

The 4 strokes are better all around ski's. I loved my GPR but it's limited in what it can do. The GPR on glass or light chop can't be beat but put it in real world chop and it's handicapped against the larger 4 stroke hulls. The other problem is the fragile nature of the 66V engine, blown pistons are very common with rings spinning and snagging on the exhaust port, seizures from running lean in cold air or water, constant tuning issues, broken cranks, powervalve issues, and water ingestion from the carbs suckin from the bottom of the hull. With the FZR you have much higher reliability along with a hull that can stay hooked up in the chop while running high speeds.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post

1. The 66V series engine sucks.....crank snouts break!!!

I have heard of this happrning, what happens when it breaks?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information