Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

? How to test a rectifier and stator 04 XPDI

I know this has been talked about but I cannot find the specifics to help me diagnose this charging problem on this Seadoo- 04XPDI

Looking for an ohm test as to what I should get accross what wires?

The rectifier has three yellow wires on one connector and a red and black wire on another connector.

I believe I'm having a charging problem and would like to test these pieces individually before ordering parts.

+1
    i moved it for ya.

+1
    Thanks, I'm glad I have a back-up doo this one is starting to get to me.

+1
    I know there is a test in the book for the stator.

+1
    I unplugged the rectifier and what I'm getting from the center yellow wire to either side is:

20 VAC @ idle
    41 VAC @ 3000 rpm
    58 VAC @ 4000 rpm
    64 VAC @ 5000 rpm

AT the battery with everything hooked up I get a drop from 12.8 - 12.4 @ idle then ~13VDC is the most I getabove idle. Before last weekend I got about 13.5 V on the battery at any rpm.

It looks like a bad rectifier to me but A new one did not solve the problem, what else could be going on?

+1

This Doo just randomly dies

What else could cause the charging system to fail and make the engine die?

This machine wnet from running fine to just cutting out in a matter of minutes and the MFD was flipping so I suspect electrical but a brand new rectifier did not last long. The display is acting normal now but the engine still dies after a short time running on the trailer.

What else can I check without the buds?

+1
    Ignition control relay thingy.. The peice that bolts to the top of the Elec box. Bypass that..

Did you by chance hook up your battery backwards?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    Ignition control relay thingy.. The peice that bolts to the top of the Elec box. Bypass that..

Did you by chance hook up your battery backwards?
    + = RED not confusing to me, Never jumped or charged with battery hooked up either.

By-pass the cut off relay? Connect p2 to p4 ? Would this keep the engine from shutting off due to a code or alarm?

Is it somehow related to the charging system? Would a bad cut off relay be something that could burn up a new rectifier?

+1
    Dont have my manual with me.. So I'll give it a shot off the cuff..

When the DI MPEMs blow (usually from a battery short) then the pin on the harness that powers triggers power at the ign relay fries... When you plug in the key, you get partial power (real faint beep at times, no gauges and no power anywhere). The MPEM is not telling the ICR to allow power to the rest of the system when you put in the key. Bypassing the relay (in the elec box, lower plug I beleive) will allow the power to flow fully.

We did this a few weeks ago to one of our DI's.. We were worried that since there is no relay, we would have a continuous power draw, but so far, no problem.

We found out it was the MPEM that fired when we installed a new ICR and same problem.. Now we have it bypassed with shrink wrap and good connections, and plan on leaving it that way.

is this your problem?? Don't know.. But a display issue on the DI's usually route to the ICR.

Your rising voltage on the rectifier test seems fine, it is charging, therefor working?? When the ski dies, what's your sitting voltage on the battery?

+1
    Thanks for the response,

The battery I just used it in my other XP, burned a couple tanks jumping waves today so I'm sure that's ok.

The MFD straightened out when I changed rectifiers and seems to be ok now.

I get two loud and clear beeps when I plug in the lanyard and the engine starts (Last time I tried it it was rather hard to start)

The voltage into the rectifier seems fine but comming out doesn't seem very good, it is less than the battery at idle and only hits 13 at around (just a guess) 2500 rpm, the voltage at the battery drops at idle and when I rev the engine. When I go a little above idle it'll hit 13V

Is there a way to get codes without buds on this model?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information