virage txi-not starting and has been nothing but problems

I have a 2002 virage txi. I had to replace the stator and a few other surrounding parts. The ski ran good for about 30 min. then turned off. I towed it back to the dock and noticed the hull was filled with about 6 in. of water. The water did not drain on its own.

Took it out of water, trained the water and it started right up. Put it back in the water looked in the hull and again and same thing, 6 in. of water. The water went to about the top of the battery.

I took it back to the shop that did the work and they said they hooked the battery vent up to a cooling hose causing water to be pumped in.

Took it back out and turned over at first and then nothing. I could hear the starter (I think) and the bilge working but still not turning over.

Any suggestions before I take it back to the shop?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kc44408 View Post
    I have a 2002 Virage TXi. I had to replace the stator and a few other surrounding parts.

The ski ran good for about 30 min. then turned off.
    Did you try restarting it on the water?
    Did it crank, but not fire up?

I towed it back to the dock and noticed the hull was filled with about 6 in. of water. The water did not drain on its own.

Took it out of water, drained the water and it started right up.

Put it back in the water looked in the hull and again and same thing, 6 in. of water. The water went to about the top of the battery.

This is after riding it again?

I took it back to the shop that did the work and they said they hooked the battery vent up to a cooling hose causing water to be pumped in.
    Did it start and run at the shop?

Took it back out and turned over at first and then nothing. I could hear the starter (I think) and the bilge working but still not turning over.
    Not cranking, or not firing up?

Any suggestions before I take it back to the shop?
    Are you sure it was the battery vent hose they connected to the cooling system?

Did they just forget to re-connect or clamp the small cooling hoses for the stator cover?

What were they supposed to be repairing?
    Just the stator?

Right now, it sounds like the shop messed up, and they owe you at least a diagnosis of the current problem.

When you press the start button, does the engine crank over?

Sometimes the start solenoid will fail. If your solenoid has a black body color, it has probably failed. The proper replacement will be the updated version, which has a brown body.

As a test, use pliers or a screwdriver to short the two heavy terminals on the start solenoid together. There will be some sparking, but if you use a firm hand, it shouldn't be a problem. Make sure the tool only contacts the two wire terminals, and not anything else.

The engine should crank and start, if the lanyard is in place.

If the engine starts when you short the solenoid terminals, but does not start when you press the start button, it is likely the solenoid needs to be replaced.

You can do this test on the trailer. No need for water cooling, as the engine won't be running for very long. If it starts, shut it down within 20 seconds or so.

after it flooded the first time, i drained it and but it back in the water. It started up fine and I drove it for about 2 min. then docked it. It again filled up with water.

it did start up at the shop but it took some playing with.

Now it will crank the first few times and then nothing.

I will try shorting the starter solenoid and let you know.

I'm going to call the shop today and i'm sure they will take a look at it no problem (they are really nice).

Thread Information