Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

split cases on slt700, rough inner bearings, what to do?

Well, thanks to forum help I got the engine out, split the cases, and both inner bearings and one of the four outers are rough, and found some rust goo. It seems like I have two choices for a crank for this 1996 slt-700 Polaris:

1. order a rebuilt from sbt or somebody and exchange mine, fastest route which is good in terms of remembering how to put it all back together, but I am giving up my nice crank for someone else's....

2. Send my crank off to have it rebuilt, it should be a solid rebuildable part since it never toasted and was still running when pulled apart.

Your thoughts are appreciated, i suppose I am inclined to just get a rebuilt one from sbt unless I am missing some information.

Quote Originally Posted by Texwing View Post
    Well, thanks to forum help I got the engine out, split the cases, and both inner bearings and one of the four outers are rough, and found some rust goo. It seems like I have two choices for a crank for this 1996 slt-700 Polaris:

1. order a rebuilt from sbt or somebody and exchange mine, fastest route which is good in terms of remembering how to put it all back together, but I am giving up my nice crank for someone else's....

2. Send my crank off to have it rebuilt, it should be a solid rebuildable part since it never toasted and was still running when pulled apart.

Your thoughts are appreciated, i suppose I am inclined to just get a rebuilt one from sbt unless I am missing some information.
    I just put my rebuilt crank for my 900 in tonight. Jeff from Midwest Crankshaft did it for me. He replaced all of the bearings and that was all, nothing else and it was $275 shipped. Finally got to start it up tonight and it started on the first revolution. He does a great job!

OK thanks. The crank from SBT has all new bearings and I think it is about the same price, so I am still wondering if their is some advantage to having your own crank rebuilt as opposed to going the exchange route with SBT. Did Midwest offer some sort of warranty?

My crank was also SBT. When Jeff worked on it, he said that they over heated the bearing races when reassembling the crank and that severely reduced the life of the crank bearings. You may see some threads around here about SBT having some questionable manufacturing processes. I guess if I had my choice of exchange with SBT for $300 +shipping and having a true professional rebuild my crank for $275 including the shipping, I choose the pro everytime.

Just my 2 pennies.

Turk

Oh, and I believe he give a 1yr warr.

Just realized you have the 2 cyl crank. I am sure Jeff would charge you less than $275 because of that alone. He also had to do some rework of my crank due to the bad assembly.

Turk

+1
    I have a 700 engine out of a 99 with 15 hours on it and runs great...PM me if you are interested.....

there seems to be two "midwest crankshafts", one in ohio and one in wisconsin-which is the right one? thanks.

the one in WI. phone# 920-434-3630

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Talked with Jeff yesterday, said he would be on vacation until the 14th starting this morning. Said he would do my 1050 crank if I lived a little closer but the earliest I could get it to him would be this morning, too late, told him I'd bring it to him after he gets back. Don't want to screw up anyones vacation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information