2002 virage i high rpm problem

I just had a dealer put in a new stb motor in my ski and when out of the water i can get 7000 rpm but when riding it I only get 5970 and it sputters some what not alot it travels at about 42mph. I took it back to a diferent dealer to hook up to the computer and they said the water hoses were on backwardsso they fixed it and said in the test tank it gets 6880rpm but i still have same problem thanks ed

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which water hoses were on backwards?

Why was the SBT engine installed?
    What was wrong with the original engine?

At any time, before or after the repairs, have you had the red lamp or any warning messages appear on the display?

Did either repair shop report any EMM service codes?

Are you interested in doing your own diagnostics?

Have you seen this web page?
    Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

Was the EMM computer module ever sent to DFI Technologies for checking and repair?

That was the suggestion from your previous thread;
    idel and rpm problem 02 virage i 800

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ...pull the ecu and covers and look for some outgassed areas under the gel, you may see a small melt down around the defective bit
    Did you check the EMM for signs of internal damage?

the first motor had a broken piston and the jugs where worped that's why I installed the new motor I talked with the polaris dealer this morning and all he suggested was to try new sprk plugs but I just put new ones in when the new motor was installed he did state that the computer did read that it had over heated thats how he found the hoses he set the computer back to normal and ran it in a test tankk and he could get 6880 rpm I'll try new spark plugs but don't know if it will work the other thing is the fuel I don't know how old it is it is the tank that camewith the ski? the dealer also stated that the computer read everything was good??? thans for your help ed

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shur-katch View Post
    the first motor had a broken piston and the jugs where warped that's why I installed the new motor

I talked with the Polaris dealer this morning and all he suggested was to try new spark plugs but I just put new ones in when the new motor was installed

he did state that the computer did read that it had over heated that's how he found the hoses

he set the computer back to normal and ran it in a test tank and he could get 6880 rpm

I'll try new spark plugs but don't know if it will work the other thing is the fuel I don't know how old it is it is the tank that came with the ski?

the dealer also stated that the computer read everything was good??? thanks for your help ed
    If the EMM was running without water cooling, that can cook the EMM, and it may or may not show trouble codes after the water cooling is fixed and the original codes are cleared.

A cooked EMM can have internal damage, but not show any codes (other than the original high EMM temp code).

You can send the EMM to DFI, who can check it for operational problems.

If there is another EMM available that can be installed for a test, that is another way to determine if your EMM has a problem.

If you remove the EMM, and remove the top and bottom plastic covers, you can look for burned spots (which is not a good thing) under the gel.

Old gasoline can be a problem. Since you don't know how bad it is, I suggest you drain/siphon the old fuel out, and put premium octane fuel in (I run 91 octane in my own). That may or may not help, but it will remove a variable from the equation.

While you have the tank empty, remove the filler hose and look into the tank. The tank should be clean inside, with no gunk, dirt or water in there.

Thread Information