Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MSX150 - to rebuild or part out

I'm in Canada new to the forum. I have been looking for answers after receiving bad news from my dealer. 2004 MSX150 with 48 hours on it and now the engine is done and needs to be rebuilt. He said the cylinder sleeves have moved and there is oil in the turbo so it may be gone too.

Being a engine newbie I really don't know what that means but dealer is saying $4-5k to rebuild. His suggestion was to sell it to someone who can rebuild it themselves or part it out because it isn't worth rebuilding the Weber engine.

So my question is would it be worth rebuilding or sourcing another engine? Would I have a good machine in the end or will I always be worrying about something else happening down the road? Or should I just take whatever I can get for it and move on to a machine that is still being made with more reliability?

I like Polaris in general and have several Polaris atv's but I am truly disappointed in this machine. I thought it was top of the line.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

There are a number of other members here who have faced similar decisions. Weber engine rebuilds are expensive, but when it is running properly, it is a good PWC.

The MSX hull was one of the best hulls Polaris made. The MSX 140 model came with a fuel injected 2-stroke engine, and the MSX 110 and MSX 150 came with the Weber 4-stroke turbo engine.

2004 was the first year for the Weber engine in Polaris PWC, and Polaris stopped selling PWC after the 2004 model year.

Unfortunately, the Weber engines at that time had some weaknesses. Polaris has continued to use the Weber engine in some snowmobiles, and reliability has improved.

A properly rebuilt Weber engine should be fairly reliable, especially if the updates and modifications that are now available are applied to the rebuild.

There seem to be a limited number of shops that are truly Weber engine experts, and can rebuild it to 'better than new' specs. Some of them are also Greenhulk members.

In addition to improved reliability, it is now possible to update the engine computer to allow it to produce more than the stock 135HP.

When they are running properly, the Weber engined Polaris are among the most fuel efficient PWC on the water. They handle well, and the MSX 150 top speed of about 60mph is comparable to all but the fastest stock models from other brands.

Polaris MSX 150, MSX 110

Things to consider when buying a Polaris MSX 110 or MSX 150

Quote Originally Posted by dchrisrea View Post
    I'm in Canada new to the forum. I have been looking for answers after receiving bad news from my dealer. 2004 MSX150 with 48 hours on it and now the engine is done and needs to be rebuilt. He said the cylinder sleeves have moved and there is oil in the turbo so it may be gone too.

Being a engine newbie I really don't know what that means but dealer is saying $4-5k to rebuild. His suggestion was to sell it to someone who can rebuild it themselves or part it out because it isn't worth rebuilding the Weber engine.

So my question is would it be worth rebuilding or sourcing another engine? Would I have a good machine in the end or will I always be worrying about something else happening down the road? Or should I just take whatever I can get for it and move on to a machine that is still being made with more reliability?

I like Polaris in general and have several Polaris atv's but I am truly disappointed in this machine. I thought it was top of the line.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
    I'd be getting a second 'opinion' about the condition of your MSX.

As far as I know...there aren't any cylinder "sleeves" to move, and the oil in the turbo sounds fishy. Wait for some of the members here that have opened their Weber engines, and get their take on what you are facing!

+1
    What part of Canada are you from?

First, the Weber engine does not have sleeved cylinders.... they are nycasil plated. Oil in turbo may only be because of oil level too high in the oil tank.... not a big issue.

Rebuilding a Weber MPE750 engine can indeed be quite expensive. However, it is a very good and reliable engine when properly setup and serviced. As it was suggested above, get a 2nd opinion. At a minimum, you should have your dealer to perform a compression test.... get back here with the compression test results.... that will almost eliminate any guessing about the condition of your engine.

Is the engine still fully assembled or is it out of the hull?

I appreciate the quick input folks. Technically this is the second opinion but the first was only from a marina in Owen Sound that really had no idea what they were talking about and jerked me around for weeks.

I've called the dealer to ask about the compression numbers and hope to hear back soon.

I am willing to throw some money at the machine if the end results are something reliable. I'm not even into racing or anything like that. I'm just a big guy that wants a decent machine that works when I want it to.

My dad has a Polaris FST snowmobile that he loves and apparently it has a Weber engine as well so there must be some reliability there if maintained properly.

Ok spoke with the dealer. He never did a compression test before tearing it apart as it was knocking on start up.

Engine is still in the machine but the top end is apart right now and the nycasil plating has been compromised which he says he can show me to take pictures but it is too far gone. He says there is a place in Quebec that can recoat it for around $800 plus the purchase of pistons at around $400 a piece, plus, plus, plus. Which all adds up and we don't know if the turbo is good or not.

I am more confident now that he knows what he is doing but that doesn't resolve the situation. He suggested that someone mechanical could purchase it and make a rebuild project out of it but to pay a mechanic to do it would not be cost effective. I am no mechanic, just a computer geek so that isn't an option.

The original marina never had it open even though they told me they did. This dealer says they had to crack factory connections to get into the engine. This is now officially the first opinion.

Now I don't know what to do.

Ok spoke with the dealer. He never did a compression test before tearing it apart as it was knocking on start up.

Engine is still in the machine but the top end is apart right now and the nycasil plating has been compromised which he says he can show me to take pictures but it is too far gone. He says there is a place in Quebec that can recoat it for around $800 plus the purchase of pistons at around $400 a piece, plus, plus, plus. Which all adds up and we don't know if the turbo is good or not.

I am more confident now that he knows what he is doing but that doesn't resolve the situation. He suggested that someone mechanical could purchase it and make a rebuild project out of it but to pay a mechanic to do it would not be cost effective. I am no mechanic, just a computer geek so that isn't an option.

The original marina never had it open even though they told me they did. This dealer says they had to crack factory connections to get into the engine. This is now officially the first opinion.

Now I don't know what to do.
    You might want to PM Desperado...he asked you what part of Canada you were in.

No one knows as much about the MSX, as he does!

P.S. you would be shocked to learn just how many good MSX's are parted out...or sold for a pittance...simply because of minor issues, that the owner and/or dealer don't know how to fix. Just such an 'as is' ski might be perfect for you!

Thanks Rocky Road.

I am in Ontario. Live in Stratford, dealer is in Waterloo, cottage is north of Owen Sound.

I am not is a real rush as the season is basically over so if anyone has a suggestion I am more than willing to listen, learn or drive for help.

watch out be sure to get any old part i work at a dealer ship that fixs them and see a lot of shit other deales did or did not do if they dont know what they are doing the thing might never run right

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...I am in Ontario. Live in Stratford, dealer is in Waterloo, cottage is north of Owen Sound.

I am not is a real rush as the season is basically over so if anyone has a suggestion I am more than willing to listen, learn or drive for help.
    Unless desperado knows of a competent repair shop that is closer to you, you may want to contact Jay (4strokepolaristech) regarding repair options south of the border.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information