Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What's this for again?

2000 Ultra 150 Repair or Part Out?

I picked up an Ultra 150 last night with 0 compression on the rear hole, 150 on middle and 120 on the front. It has a custom flame paint job with lots of paint chips on the custom work. It doesn't look like they roughed it up enough to get it to stick good. It has a shred master ride plate, finger grip throttle, and I am told it has and aftermarket set of reeds in it. He didn't know what brand and I haven't torn it down yet. Hull is in good shape, everything else seems to work. Good Shorelander single place trailer. My question is, should I spend the time and money to try and reapir it, then sell it, or part it out and not bother?
    I'd like to hear any ideas.
    Thanks, Matt

I would tear into the motor to see what the damage is then go from there. You might start by feeling arroung on the bottom of the engine to see if there is a hole under #3 then move on to pulling the heads to see the top of the pistons. Post some pics of it.

What's this for again?
    I torn into the engine and the #3 piston and probably cylinder is gone. That wouldn't be that big of a deal but the cracks under #2 and #3 are most likely a deal breaker. I will try to get some pics posted.

Wow cracks under the other 2 sounds unusual. Do you have the motor out now?

What's this for again?
    The engine is out now. There are two cracks in the block, one under the cylinder with the bad piston, and one under the middle cylinder. I am gueassing that a large piece of the piston skirt got over to the middle cylinder and bulged the case under #2. I may tear it down further just to investigate.
    Is it possible to have those cracks welded? They are not holes, just a bulge/crack. Just wondering if anyone has ever had luck having the cases welded? I would like to try and get it running and sell as a whole, but if it's not worth it, I'll just part it.

What's this for again?
    Here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG0031.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	148590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0787.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	148591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0790.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	148592  

Those cases are repairable from what I see. I would go ahead and finish teardown and see the full extent of the damage. Most importantly is the condition of the crank. This is looking like water injestion killed it.

What's this for again?
    What am I looking for on the crank? Is it something that will be obvious? So it is likely that if I get it going, it's not something like an oil pump or carb problem to find in addition, that's good. Thanks for the info. I will tear it down the rest of the way this evening and check it all out then.

Main thing is that nothing is broke and that the bearings rotate smothly. There may be some grit in the rod bearings but you can use brake parts cleaner to flush it out. be sure to oil the crank after cleaning so it doesnt rust. If the cylinders are scared they can be replated then the case welded and a new top end should put you under 1k to get it running.

You might want to contact the po and ask if it had been rolled before or if it was taking on water before it failed. If the bearing carrier was bad it would leak. Now would be the time to replace it if its bad. The #3 piston looks like water injestion or a cooling clog caused the piston to break up. I can also tell you this isnt the first time someone has been into the top end. The nuts on the heads are not factory. It also looks like the reeds are vforce d2's I can tell for sure when you get them out.

ill take that shredmaster off your hands if you want to make some money...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information