Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Here's a good reason for using a catch can

Last month I sucked up a bunch of seagrass into my grate which VERY quickly caused the ski to overheat. I use the Riva intake & the oil vapor was so hot the stock oil breather box didn't cool it enough, so it ended up getting sucked through the SC & finally condensed when it hit the IC. What a friggin mess and a lot of work to clean up. There was a sticky oily film inside the SC housing & an oily mess inside the IC. I noticed it a coupke weeks ago when I removed the boost hose to install my new HKS BOV, & decided to pull everything apart for cleaning. The main thing that concerned me was I didn't know if the SC impeller was covered in oily residue putting it out of balance & potentially destroying the bearings. I didn't want to ever have to do this again, so I installed the Jetdraft catch can, which only takes about 5 min to install & makes a lot more room at the back of the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 002.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	465.7 KB 
ID:	148493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 006.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	655.5 KB 
ID:	148494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 007.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	148495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 008.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	655.7 KB 
ID:	148496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random 010.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	583.6 KB 
ID:	148497  

+1
    I threw on the JD catch can this weekend as well. It's a slick setup. I like the little valve at the bottom of the can to either dump the oil back into the crankcase or let it collect. I keep mine open to drain back into the crankcase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I threw on the JD catch can this weekend as well. It's a slick setup. I like the little valve at the bottom of the can to either dump the oil back into the crankcase or let it collect. I keep mine open to drain back into the crankcase.
    Interesting. I installed a PCV block-off (like in Rip-N-Tear's thread) in my Riva intake and ran the stock hose back to a Groco strainer installed on the bottom of the aluminum seat crossmember.

I don't really get any oil in the strainer (just a film) but when the hot gasses cool they condense. I bet I have 1/2" or more of water in the strainer right now. Haven't emptied it in probably 5 or 6 hours of riding. Just stuck my pinky finger in the outlet hose barb last night and didn't get any oil or film on my finger (I need to but haven't yet installed a filter on the outlet side of the strainer).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Last month I sucked up a bunch of seagrass into my grate which VERY quickly caused the ski to overheat. I use the Riva intake & the oil vapor was so hot the stock oil breather box didn't cool it enough, so it ended up getting sucked through the SC & finally condensed when it hit the IC. What a friggin mess and a lot of work to clean up. There was a sticky oily film inside the SC housing & an oily mess inside the IC. I noticed it a coupke weeks ago when I removed the boost hose to install my new HKS BOV, & decided to pull everything apart for cleaning. The main thing that concerned me was I didn't know if the SC impeller was covered in oily residue putting it out of balance & potentially destroying the bearings. I didn't want to ever have to do this again, so I installed the Jetdraft catch can, which only takes about 5 min to install & makes a lot more room at the back of the engine.
    what a mess sorry that happened Mark. good info to know so it doesnt happen to anyone else.

+1
    Good info Mark. This just convinced me to install the catch can on my ski too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    what a mess sorry that happened Mark. good info to know so it doesnt happen to anyone else.
    Yep, I think the catch can setup is definately worthwhile if it saves me from having to do this again. It sucks to have to disassemble that much stuff, unless your installing new go fast parts.

+1
    Yep, I think the catch can setup is definately worthwhile if it saves me from having to do this again. It sucks to have to disassemble that much stuff, unless your installing new go fast parts.
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Good info Mark. This just convinced me to install the catch can on my ski too.
    Here, just go to the online store and click....

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1224

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    Here, just go to the online store and click....

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1224

Done!

Your engine must have gotten really hot to turn that much oil into vapor. Have you checked your compression to see if the engine was damaged? I'd change the oil too! Maybe switch to a synthetic oil to prevent this from happening again in the future...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information