Belt tension tool... is it needed?

Just wanted to see what people think. Do i need the belt tensioner tool once its on.. or can i just use a ruler and measure out the dip?

I just got mine from rrated the other day.

There's not much to it, just metal and a spring, but to me it's worth the peace of mind that my belt tension is correct. I'd rather spend $40 on a tool and keep my tension perfect than risk a belt breaking from being too tight, or slipping off for being too loose.

It's hard to gauge the tension without the tool. Some ppl will say you can grab the belt and turn it 1/4. I'd rather know for sure.

spend the money and buy one. if its too tight, you may wear your bearings fast. if its loose, you will loose boost. take your pick.

+1

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    I just got mine from rrated the other day.

There's not much to it, just metal and a spring, but to me it's worth the peace of mind that my belt tension is correct. I'd rather spend $40 on a tool and keep my tension perfect than risk a belt breaking from being too tight, or slipping off for being too loose.

It's hard to gauge the tension without the tool. Some ppl will say you can grab the belt and turn it 1/4. I'd rather know for sure.
    +1

I bought the tool and would rather know the tension is correct vs guess. ....and when my belt starts to slip, I won't worry if it's loose, I'll know it's because the belt is getting wet from water in the hull and it's time to stop jumping the waves and submerging my boat for a couple minutes while I run her flat and let the water vacate the hull

Steve

Thanks guys,

I called rrated today, but rudy wasn't in. i'm going to try to get into rrated either tommorow or thursday. I hope they have time to work on it before the weekend.

If they can't get to it does any one in the long island are have one I could use...

where in long island are you going to be? I MAY be in port washington tomorrow.

Mack, I am going to be out of town tommorow...I live in bellmore down by jones beach...

Thank you though...

no prob...if u ever need anything i'm usually up that direction on wednesdays

Thread Information