Thoughts on hoisting/lifting skis out of the water.

So, my RXP died and I am going to pull it out. I ordered a lifting sling and got a engine puller from a neighbor, got it out on the dock and notice that the feet stick out further than the boom.

So... anyone have ideas? The dock is a floating dock, so the top of the dock is really only a foot above the water line. I have the lifting sling and a pretty large area to work with.

Make sure you film that! I gotta see it!

+1
    Are you trying to say, you were going to pull the engine while the ski is still in the water???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by x86brandon View Post
    So, my RXP died and I am going to pull it out. I ordered a lifting sling and got a engine puller from a neighbor, got it out on the dock and notice that the feet stick out further than the boom.

So... anyone have ideas? The dock is a floating dock, so the top of the dock is really only a foot above the water line. I have the lifting sling and a pretty large area to work with.
    wow, this sounds like an accident waiting to happen, unless your dock is enormous and stable I see bad things about to happen

Nah, not going to pull the engine. I was going to pull the whole ski up and set it on the dock. Yes, the dock is incredibly stable and large. It's probably 60x30 or so. There were over 40 people on it on the 4th and it was fine.

I ended up just buying a 2nd jet ski to tow the 1st one with and be able to ride something to avoid rushing the 1st one back together. It worked.

Website may not be suitable for small children WOT's Avatar
    You really can't use an engine puller unless your doc has a u-shaped cutout space for the ski. Doc hoists are bolted down and pivot so that you can have them pick the ski up and then pivot around 180 degrees and set the ski on the doc. If you really want to put on a good show, you could build some metal rails that are bolted onto the dock and stick out over the water and then roll the engine hoist out over the ski. I bet it would gather quite a crowd, with wispers and people betting on whether or not the whole thing was going into the water, etc. It might be worth doing just to prove a point....

+1
    Just mount a hand crank onto the dock and start cranking.. Have 2 guys help lift the nose a little to get it up over the edge and crank away.

Thread Information