Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine trouble... or not - confused!

Have owned a 2005 RXT from new, covered 90 hours total. Ski is stock, except for OPAS lifters and Riva grate.
    At the 50hr service, we had bad leakdown test results, but didn't worry because we had "babied" the ski from new - running it in slowly (yes, I know!!!)! Just had a 100 hour service (10 hours early) and the results are even worse!! 12, 18,16. This is the sign of a bad engine!!!! The leakdown results this time are approx 4 points worse than last time.
    The strange thing is that the engine pulls strong. We went to the lake to specifically evaluate performance after the service. Initially 7800 rpm, then took out 1L of oil and back up to "usual" 8100 rpm / GPS 65.5 mph before we had to shut off (Lakes are small in the U.K.!)- could have probably got more speed. Literally thrashed the life out of her for 1 1/2 tankfuls, she didn't miss a beat - no oil consumption, ran round the course at 7500 plus rpm consistently, peaking at over 8000 on the "straights". Pulled inlet pipe off SC afterwards and it was absolutley clean - no oil reisdue. And yet, if you listen to what they say, the engine is on its last legs and has been for over 40 hours (since the first test at 50 hours).
    Sorry about the long post BUT what do you think? How meaningful is the leakdown test when we get this performance consistently? The dealer did say that based on the performance of our Ski, we should not worry about the results - I have to say we are happy with it in every way and it compares well in races with similar Skis.

+1
    Leak down is a good test, but in this case, a compression test may be in order to see it it corrilates the leak down results.

+1
    its under warranty so run it till the end of the the year.

Still confused

I will do a compression test to see what that shows.

I think that our "problem" is that we ran it in slowly? My confusion comes round to the fact that our Ski is definitley not a slow one (and matches other RXTs easily), and we don't have any significant oil use - our N/A 4-Tec used more!. With the poor results, you might expect it to be down on performance and using oil?

We have run it for 40 hours with this "issue", with no problems apparent - but looking at the manual, we should be getting ready for an engine strip! Is it possible that the way an engine is run in can produce OK ring seal in normal operation, but poor leak down results?

Anyone else have any leak down test resulst from their skiis?

+1
    Valves are leaking... They need to be reground, But, If you bitch a little a good dealer will get you a new head.

Rings

I wondered about that, but the dealer said they can tell where the leakage was coming from (I seem to remember somthing about this when I re procedure originally) and he said it was the rings! Strange!

The new Sea-Doo shop manual says 0% to 15% excellent condition and 16% to 25% good condition, and 26% to 40% is fair condition. So at your leak down rate you should not be to worried. I do know that the older Sea-Doo manuals state that 0% to 7% excellent 8% to 15% fair and 16% to 30% poor condition. So I wonder why early manuals say one thing and later manuals say another??????

Happy and less confused!!!

I have the older manual!
    You have just made me a happy man !
    NOW, we can start modding!

Just wanted you to have the facts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information