Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Reliability of B Kit-based skis?

Now that B-kit has been out a while, let's talk about the reliability of these setups. The issues I've heard around them are:

- Floating valves
    - Blown head gaskets
    - Unexplained loss of oil
    - Increased heat issues
    - Loss of compression
    - Overflowing coolant

The valve issue seems to have been corrected by adding the RR retainers/shims. Anyone still have valve problems with the B-Kit after that?

Blown head gaskets seem to come up periodically. I've seen Stickem mention head issues and seems like CRS had a head problem with the B-Kit. I remember JD1 had a loss of compression at MB2. Edit: PsychoRXP lost some compression. Are these all related?

Oil consumption is one that Ray from PR brought up. Are B-Kit users seeing unexplained drops in oil levels?

The added boost of the B-Kit seems to bring a lot of extra heat that has caused some failures of plastic based intake and exhaust systems. It appears that metal plumbing is solving this.

Are there any other issues out there with them?

Who has the most problem free hours on a B-Kit setup and what are you running?
    Last edited by Jarrett; 09-17-2006 at 09:21 PM.

Banned User

B-kit

Hi Jarret,

Im from Australia and very farmiliar with the B-Kit and other as we get the local goss! Ive been running the B-KIT for some time and had no serious problems bar HEAT and we have solved that with custom Aluminium pipes.
    Must keep the Fuel up to the B-KIT.

Check out what we are running below!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett
    Now that B-kit has been out a while, let's talk about the reliability of these setups. The issues I've heard around them are:

- Floating valves
    Superchargers don't float valves, over reving the engine does. If you slap a B kit on your ski and don't add pitch to the prop you will quickly find yourself up against the rev limiter. Those running the B kit with the stock ECU need not worry.

- Blown head gaskets
    The stock head gasket is more than able to hold the boost obtained by using the B kit. I once thought i had a blown head gasket, but have since learned i had a burnt exhaust valve.

- Unexplained loss of oil
    Any time you increase boost you increase cylinder pressures thus creating more blow by. Some have reported missing oil (it goes out thru the PCV system and into the catch can if so equipped) I have noticed no increase in oil in my catch can. I tend to think those that are losing oil have their oil overfilled to begin with.

- Increased heat issues
    Any time you increase boost you increase the temperature of the air exiting the supercharger. I myself have melted the plastic Riva intercooler plumbing pipe (SC to IC) as have others. The solution is to replace it with a metal pipe.

The valve issue seems to have been corrected by adding the RR retainers/shims. Anyone still have valve problems with the B-Kit after that?
    Again, valve issues are not directly related to the supercharger. Control your RPM's thru either pitching the prop accordingly or take the most advantage of your performance and do the necessary valvetrain upgrades to run up to the limiter. Failure to do either will result in certain valve float unless of course you are running a stock ECU. Then you can run it against the limiter all day long with no issues.

Blown head gaskets seem to come up periodically. I've seen Stickem mention head issues and seems like CRS had a hea problem with the B-Kit. I remember JD1 had a loss of compression at MB2. Are these all related?
    Stickem had other head issues. CRS had a head gasket sealing propblem, im sure he can elaboate. JD 1's issues were unrealated. He burnt a piston on #2 cylinder due to running lean.

+1
    Seems to be no reliability issues...However if you run the ems system with it and kick the rpm's up around the 9000 mark you could be flirting with danger over prolonged periods....

+1
    One rule we must remember. ANY time you increase performance you decrease reliability.

+1

80 mph stock ECU B Kit?

I know a number of us have run 77 mph with basically a slightly tweaked Riva Stage 2 kit. I have run that without skegs, with only a standard Riva air intake. If I added skegs and a 4" rear air intake and a B kit SC, 50 lb injectors and fuel controller, I would think it might be possible to hit 80 mph at 8100 rpms on a stock ECU ...

+1
    Im trying Vern

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern
    I know a number of us have run 77 mph with basically a slightly tweaked Riva Stage 2 kit. I have run that without skegs, with only a standard Riva air intake. If I added skegs and a 4" rear air intake and a B kit SC, 50 lb injectors and fuel controller, I would think it might be possible to hit 80 mph at 8100 rpms on a stock ECU ...
    Possibly. Jerry is working on that as we speak. The difficulty I see is pitching a prop to get the RPM down to 8100. The b kit wants to rev past 8600. So you are talking about pitching to take out 500-600 RPM. I wonder if pushing a prop that steep places too much load on the engine???

Legend in my own mind Sirhc7897's Avatar
    IMO - the steeper prop at the lower rpms is no different than a shallower prop at sky-high rpms...It's just a different type of wear...

where you used to get in trouble with over-propping was putting on a prop so steep it bogged the motor to the point the motor was always running around in the lower rpms (where the timing advance is much higher)...

If you're spinning the motor with stock ECU where the stock ECU was designed to turn and giving it enough fuel to keep it safe there should be no problem...IMO

+1
    Makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information