+1

Stock scoop grate ~ remove center bar?

I just bolted the Shredmaster rideplates on my STX15F and STX12F last night. Decided not to cut the center bar out of the scoop grate but now I'm wondering if I should have. For those of you that have removed the center bar, what change did you see? Is this a top speed only mod or does it have some benefit at less than full throttle speeds? With the power tools I have I think I could cut the bar out without having to remove the grate from the machines but I just don't know if it will help for the way I ride. I use the machines mainly to cruise around and pull skiers. Help me make up my mind.

+1
    take a pic of them bolted up from under the ski.

The cut bar is supoosed to help with a little added hookup. Not sure about the speed gain or not as I have never done.

+1
    Hopefully I'll remember to do that the next time I pull the trailer out of the garage. I have to move 2 motorcycles, a motorcycle lift, gas cans and several other things in the way to be able to move the trailer. Then, since the garage door is only 3 inches wider than the trailer (1.5 inches clearance on each side), I have to pull the trailer out of the garage using a trailer dolly. In other words, it takes some effort to get the things out of the garage.

I'm a flat water rider, 2 foot chop at the most; that's the reason I am wondering if cutting the center bar is worth the effort and increased risk involved with sucking up something into the pump that might have otherwise been blocked.

+1
    fan it ....if thats your water you ride in then I woundt waist the time and effort of pulling those things out to do that.

Now it's worth the time though to take a pic..

+1
    OK, I'll try to get you a pic this weekend. Do you want to see the gaps or just the general shape of the rideplate? I'll take shots from a couple of different angles and hopefully I'll answer your questions. I remember on the other forum you frequent, you were asking questions about the Shredmaster. I suppose you are thinking about getting one but you are hesitant about putting out that many bucks?

+1
    Price is not the problem...

It's just been around this stuff for alot of years and I love how all the companys advertise what there product does. And when really put to the test..it ends up not being much better than anything else or only slightly better.

Now this plate has been setup for a totally stock ski and thats where the numbers came from.

But when you add sponsons a striaght exit nozzle and dump setup intake grates and other factors well.....Now that plate might have to much down force or not enough.

So it may be a good rec plate but if it was the best then I expect to see it on alot of race ski's next season or very soon in the up coming months.

So just alot of variables with any product.... And the adds can never be trusted fully.

Look at the D3 Pipe....nobody got the gains that where clamed along witht the stinger pipe for the gpr...paper weight....same with the gpr R&D dominator manifold not much good there ethier. But it was the first thing out so people bought it because of the hype.

Now I understand shredmaster puts out good stuff most the time... But so far the gpr plate isnt doing what it claims for race ski's...

Like I said will probably be a great plate for a stock rec ski.

+1
    Yep, I've been around it quite a few years also (well actually, a couple of years ago I just got back into it). Got my first skis in '87; a JS550 & 650SX. I know what you are saying, there has always been all kind of "miracle" products out there and the internet added LOTS of fuel to that fire. I made lots of changes to the 550 & 650 (engine & hull) only to change again looking for better; sometimes I succeeded sometimes not. I didn't keep my SXR800 long enough to make many changes.

I didn't buy the Shredmaster because of claimed top speed gains but instead hoping for better handling and hole shot.

Again, I ask; are you wanting more of a profile shot of the plate on the ski or trying to get an idea of the fit?

+1
    I have seen it from the back only so with it mounted up to the ski from underneath would be good and looking from the front to the back I guess would be good as well.

Is there any hang down at all on the leading edges. ??

I think it is a good plate and I too would not get it for the top speed gain but for handling....

Which my setup now is working pretty good...

Ok thanks for any pics ya throw up and hope it rides better then you expect...

Thread Information