Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas Question

+1

Gas Question

I noticed a new posting on the pump while getting gas the other day that said "Contains 10 percent ethanol" My question is does this pose problems for those of us who have to run higher octane gas?

Banned User

Gas

Hi Franko,

In Australia Ethanol is an additive to basicly water down the fuel and yes it can cause engine problems for High HP out put engines.

Our Government cracked down on this some time ago to put a stop to it.

The BIG BOYS claim it wont hurt your Engines

Its just a quick buck maker for the Gas stations and Big boys.

Shop around is my call.

Detonation KILLS Motors

+1
    I've heard that the higher octane had ethanol added for quite a few years. I don't know if that's true or not. Our stations switch to ethanol added fuels in late fall through early spring for air quality. I ran it in my XPL during the winter mixed with 104 leaded and had no issues but never in my RXP.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    Yea I saw this too the other day at a shell and chose to go elsewhere, dont know if where I went was any better but they didnt post the warning, I wonder if they have to post it, so in other words if you dont see it your not getting it?

+1
    Around the Front Range in CO, it has to be posted with the amount of Ethanol used. The gas in KS sucks, I was told they use Ethanol year round and I did NOT see it posted on the pumps. Gas mileage suffers with the use of Ethanol.

+1
    the new rule is that they don't have to post that they add it anymore. for areas that do, you are lucky. as soon as you don't see the stickers you can assume that it's in there.

this stuff hurts gas mileage, absorbs moisture and speeds deterioration of anything plastic. On the plus side, it does raise octane.

ford is moving to ethanol based vehicle....its the future of gas

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miketrin
    it does raise octane.
    This is what I was looking for. My concern was that it might lower octane causing detonation. Not that I am unconcerned about the other issues, but, well, ok, I'm not as concerned as long as it doesn't blow my ski up.

+1
    Ethanol has a lot less BTUs per pound than gasoline. You will lose horse power any time its added to gasoline.

gas containing 10% ethanol has about 3.5% less heat output (energy) than regular non-ethanol added gas. In cars with oxygen sensors this is compensated for by the computer by increasing fuel delivery which will cause you to get 3.5 % less gas mileage. In a ski like the RXP which has no oxygen sensor and gets fuel delivery based on the fuel mapping in the ecu, running 10% ethanol gas will cause your ski to run 3.5% lean. While this may not be a problem for a stock ski, it may be a problem for a heavily modded ski. Running 93 octane gas with 10% ethanol should keep you from detonating as long as you don't run lean. I always use 93 octane fuel with no ethanol in my ski along with adding about 25% 100 octane turbo blue to put my octane rating in the 94-95 range, just for a little extra safety margin. The turbo blue smells good too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information