Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stock Supercharger Expected Life

I know it's recommended that the supercharger be rebuilt every 100 hours. However, if I rebuild my stock supercharger with Riva washers and a blow off valve, how long could I realistically expect the supercharger to last? I have heard of stock superchargers lasting hundreds of hours. I realize a lot depends upon how hard you ride the ski, but it seems to me that the metal washers and a blow off valve should greatly extend the life of a stock supercharger. I am fairly gentle with my Sea Dos and I would rather not rebuild the supercharger every 100 hours if its perfectly OK. Would there be any warning signs the supercharger is about to fail? I thought I read the newer Sea Doos have a warning light when the supercharger is failing. Is there a sensor for this on the newer ones? If so, could this sensor be installed on 2004 models? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it's an '04 - '07 SC, the only sensor that will give you a warning is the "Oil Pressure" sensor that trips after the ceramic washers have failed and ruined the oil pumps. Then it's too late. BTW, the blow-off valve will help a turbo, but not an SC since the washers are used to slow down the SC, while a turbo spins down on it's own... Ron

a bov will help the clutch on a sc as the bov will allow boost to be athmospheric and stop impellor stall which will prolong the sc clutch ten fold.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jjspyder View Post
    I know it's recommended that the supercharger be rebuilt every 100 hours. However, if I rebuild my stock supercharger with Riva washers and a blow off valve, how long could I realistically expect the supercharger to last? I have heard of stock superchargers lasting hundreds of hours. I realize a lot depends upon how hard you ride the ski, but it seems to me that the metal washers and a blow off valve should greatly extend the life of a stock supercharger. I am fairly gentle with my Sea Dos and I would rather not rebuild the supercharger every 100 hours if its perfectly OK. Would there be any warning signs the supercharger is about to fail? I thought I read the newer Sea Doos have a warning light when the supercharger is failing. Is there a sensor for this on the newer ones? If so, could this sensor be installed on 2004 models? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    FYI I took my stock 06 RXP supercharger to 230 hours before rebuild. Stage 1 +, since day 1, ran hard, but changed oil very often.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirates81 View Post
    FYI I took my stock 06 RXP supercharger to 230 hours before rebuild. Stage 1 +, since day 1, ran hard, but changed oil very often.
    You got lucky

+1
    Yer i have always wondered and would think that if your slip moment stayed within the manfacturers tolerances that it should be fine. But i guess its better to rebuild your s/c at 100 hours than rebuild your whole motor at 110 hours when the s/c fails

So at $650 (est price for new SC)
    It cost $6.50 an HOUR to run my freaking SC?

nice BRP

Quote Originally Posted by jekvall View Post
    So at $650 (est price for new SC)
    It cost $6.50 an HOUR to run my freaking SC?

nice BRP
    thats for a stock one!!!!!!! I think using that math,, it must be at least (doctors) fees for me to run mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!well unless your for the OBAAAMA health care plan then I run mine for free,, oh stupid meee your guys taxes pay for my SC!!!!!!! LMFAO

Won't a blow off valve greatly reduce the wear on the supercharger? If that's the case, then won't it be reasonable to expect a supercharger to last a couple hundred hours with stock boost?

I know a few other people on this forum have used a blow off valve and still had a supercharger fail. However, I'm pretty sure they were all using performance superchargers with increased boost.

I am just looking for a way to bulletproof my Sea Doo and reduce the maintenance expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jjspyder View Post
    I am just looking for a way to bulletproof my Sea Doo and reduce the maintenance expenses.
    I have followed the issue closely on the forum for the past year and share your concern about maintenance expense. Frankly, I think it's insane that BRP expects their owners to pay between $6 and $10/hour for supercharger maintenance.

As I understand it, even if the washers are OK, the bearings are the next weak component. They do not show any symptoms of pending failure so you're forced to pull the S/C and have it inspected every 100 hours.

To the extent that a S/C bearing failure can cause major engine damage it seems prudent to have the S/C rebuilt every 100 hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information