1994 Polaris SLT 750 Engine cutting out after repairs

I recently repaired a 1994 Polaris SLT 750. Because the Gas/Fuel separator was missing the “O” ring to seal the cup, I bypassed it and placed a high-performance fuel filter in the line by the normal/reserve switch. The gas cap & neck was also cracked, so I put some gas in and plugged the hose temporarily to test out my repairs.

Tweaked it a bit and rode it for 3 times about an hour a time. Everything ran great.

I recently purchased and installed a new Gas Fuel Separator off EBay (with spring & filter in cup) and replaced the fuel cap and neck. Yesterday when I rode the PWC, the unit cut out about 10 times when under load (like it was running out of gas). If I let it idle for a minute it seemed to “catch-up” and run for a while. Changing from reserve to normal seemed to change things a good amount, but not totally eliminate the problem. Most of the time it was running great at all speeds.

I was wondering if any of the ideas below look they could be the problem:

1. Two fuel filters now in place (gas/fuel cup & in the line, should I remove the in-line filter?)
    2. Gas/Fuel separator has obstructions (seemed to fill up about 4/5ths full with a air gap at top, normal? How to check?)
    3. Fuel lines in tank wrong length (have another post out there as I had to replace these and guess at their length, waved bouncing them around and above the gas level?)
    4. Other Issues?

Thanks
    Keith Collins

I would just leave the fuel seperator out.. with ethanol now the water won't seperate anyway until it reaches the same amount(10% ethanol means you can absorb up to 10% water). So unless you have a lot of water in your tank the water seperator will be useless, i've had a lot of those leaky water seperators too and just take them out.. just make sure to take care of you ski (drain gas when storing, among other things)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FLjoyrider View Post
    ... with ethanol now the water won't separate anyway until it reaches the same amount (10% ethanol means you can absorb up to 10% water)...
    Are you sure about those percentages?

From an article from Canadian Yachting on Coping with Ethanol Enhanced Fuel (PDF version)

Ethanol in gasoline - not good for Marine use, how to buy non-Ethanol gasoline

"...The amount of water required (in percent of the total volume) for this phase separation to take place varies with temperature, but as an example, at 60 degrees F, water can be absorbed by a blend of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol up to a content of 0.5 volume percent before it will phase separate. This means that approximately 3.8 teaspoons of water can be dissolved per gallon of the fuel before the water will begin to phase separate..."

Well I stand corrected. Not sure where you get your gas but here every gas station has converted to the ethanol gas so unless you get avgas your stuck with it

I've seen it to the point where the gas is milky it has so much water in it.. maybe its from the hot FL sun

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the water seperator in question and try it out. See if that helps or no change.

It also sounds like there is an obstruction in your pick up tubes. Look into that as well.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Remove the water seperator in question and try it out. See if that helps or no change.

It also sounds like there is an obstruction in your pick up tubes. Look into that as well.

+ 1 on that. I pulled my lines early this year and ended up having to pull the whole tank because the fuel lines in the tank had fell apart. I also had to do the '95 upgrade as the '94 had only venting under bars. Some one around here (K447?) will have the right diagram for this upgrade if it isn't done already.
    I like having the seperator myself. Mine was removed by a mech. and I re-installed it.
    I also did my lines and put a brass filter on the reserve and on lines. Helps to keep it down.

Hi Kevin. Been riding much?

Thread Information