Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Gtx help low rpms

I bought a 1996 Gtx with an sbt 787. When I test drove it dident know that it needed to trun 6800 rpms. It only turns 6200 rpms. It has 150 psi mag 153 psi pto. I have installed a new water pressure regulator. All water hoses were blown out with compresed air. No blockage. New spark plugs. Cliped back plug wires. New brp impeller. Nothing wrong with wear ring. Voltage 12.7 off 13.1 running. The carbs were rebuilt by a shop before I bought it. All new fule lines installed by shop also. Cleaned rave valves. They were stuck when I bought it. The bellowes looked good no pin holes. The carbs never bog down. The motor runs awesome except for only truning 6200 rpms. It just feels like that is all it can do. It doesent feel like something is holding it back. It also has an aftermarket flame aresster kit installed on it. Not by me it was like that when i bought it. It is premix. The oil pump drive shaft was removed when the sbt motor was installed. The pump was bolted back on and all lines left conected. That was done at a shop also before I bought it. I have been on other fourms. But all anyone says is that the water req is bad. It works. It is brand new. Please help

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Who bought the BRP impeller? What is the part number? Is it new? It could easily be the wrong pitch prop.

Welcome to GH! I also suggest reading all the other identical symptom threads...no sense in making us type the same thing again.

I put the brp prop on. I thought maybe it had the wrong one on. It is the correct part number. I checked it with the seadoo online part catalog. I have searched all over the net. I can not find anything else to check or replace thats why i am here

Take the black caps off the RAVES, and the springs, and make a wot pas with the seat off. Look while doing so, to confirm the RAVES are actually opening up. It seems even though you cleaned them they still aren't opening. Did you clean the slots in the cylinders, also?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    could be running rich? causing it to only rev up so much, I think...thats what happened to me. I was having wet plugs and engine ran fine just wouldnt rev all the way up. check your plugs might help

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try. The gtx has after market flame aresters on it. Do the high speed screws need to be all the way like the book says? Or do the need to be adjusted out a bit? I dident put them on it was like that when I bought it. I checked the screws and thats when I discovered they were adjusted out some. The Pto is 3/4 of a trun and the mag is 1/4 of a trun. Does this sound right? Can you check the way the plugs look if you have to go through a no wake zone to get back to shore?

He should have told you how to do plug chop. It must be done wot, pull your lanyard or hit the start/stop button wile sill holding wot. Coast to a stop, pull the seat and plugs and read them there. You are looking for chocolate brown on the ceramic.

Don't come back and ask for other alternatives, as this is the only way to verify correct fuel mixture.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Just because a prop has a stamp on it saying it is a """" size you should have the pitch checked to make sure it is correct for your ski.

Your prop could have been made on a Monday or Friday, and i know from working in a shop, quality control isn't always the best on those days!

Thanks for all the help. I like hearing other ideas than just everone staying fixed on the water reg. I will check the plugs that way. How far should I adjust the high speed adjusters at a time. 1/8 or 1/4. Counter clockwise rich clocksise lean. Correct? And I will check raves also.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    If the ski is stock then the high speed adjuster should be closed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information