Looking at a second ski

So a buddy of mine is ditching his 98 gp760, which i'd love to pick up since i don't let anyone ride my baby, but i don't like being selfish. He's looking for 1400, only thing is he hasn't gotten it running this season.

The good news is he's going to let me take it for the weekend to go through it and see if i want it. So i figure first thing is a compression test to see if it's smoked. I'm unsure of the hours, but do you guys know what I should expect from a compression test on this?

Also what else should i be looking for? 1400 seems fair to me, what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by skyline2962 View Post
    So a buddy of mine is ditching his 98 gp760, which i'd love to pick up since i don't let anyone ride my baby, but i don't like being selfish. He's looking for 1400, only thing is he hasn't gotten it running this season.

The good news is he's going to let me take it for the weekend to go through it and see if i want it. So i figure first thing is a compression test to see if it's smoked. I'm unsure of the hours, but do you guys know what I should expect from a compression test on this?

Also what else should i be looking for? 1400 seems fair to me, what do you guys think?
    I have a 1500 single for sale, see vids 6k with trailer.......

yeah that doesn't really help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peteshauling View Post
    I have a 1500 single for sale, see vids 6k with trailer.......

i think waht he means is it was up for 6k but you can have it for $1400

$1400 dont seem to bad, but you gotta get it running over the weekend or its too much of an unknown, you going to have to rebuild the carbs for piece of mind later so dont forget to add that into the equation as well as new filters and plugs, i would try a few hundred less if i was you,

yeah he told me if i can't get it running i can take a few hundred off the price.

any idea what the compression on this thing should be?

+1
    stock compression is about 150. Don't be alarmed if you find the rear cylinder noticably lower than the front 5ish psi or so. That's normal for that motor.

front cylinder was good, 140 psi, however the rear cylinder was 70. So i pulled the head and it's smoked... So i think he's going to have it rebuilt before i buy it off of him

So we took off the jugs today, and behold, the piston skirt on the second piston was completely gone. Somehow the cylinder walls are totally mint though.

So what should we be looking at doing when rebuilding this thing? I know the motor has to come out and split the cases to get all the metal shavings out but then what? I'm thinking piston, rings, clean everything, quick hone and re assemble? Or does it need all new bearings and a ton of other stuff? Also the head looks decent, any advice?

Thread Information