Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need intake grate for 03 MSX 140, Please!

One of the bars on my stock grate is broken. Would like a stock or suitable re-placement. What do you guys have or recommend?? Thanks in advance, Troy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I am sure you will be able to find plenty stock intake grates. I have some on the shelf myself.

The genuine MSX intake grate differs from the non-MSX stock grates in that the stock mounting bolt has a different head. If you buy an older grate, just buy a tapered head bolt to match the tapered hole, and it will fit just fine.

Is there a reason you are excluding the aftermarket intake grates?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I see you are in Alaska,What type of water are you normally riding in,If it is normally on the choppy side,I would go with a R&D wing style intake,it helps pick up water in the rough stuff and keep the pump loaded. A used one normally $40.00 - $75.00.

Welcome,How about some pictures of you ski and the area you ride at.

Thanks for the replies,
    I am not opposed to aftermarket at all. I have been lurking for awhile and am familiar with the R&D grate. I ride a mix of ocean, lakes and rivers. I also have a 2002 Genesis with approx. 30 hrs on new engine. I will post some pics later today.
    That being said if someone has a R&D grate for sale for the MSX, let me know.
    What all is invloved in swapping them out? Does it require sealing or is it just a bolt and go?
    Thanks again, Troy

+1
    There is really no aftermarket grate for the MSX,but the R&D 650 and 750 grate will work fine. The 650 has a little less scooping area. Most guys perfer the 650. You may lose 1/2 MPH with one. Just seal the front edge and you can seal between the grate and ride plate.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    General consensus is that the best intake grate for the MSX hull in rough water is the Jet Dynamics grate, modified by Watcon (especially for the Matrix MSX conversions).

Next up are the R&D grates, with the 650 being the more popular choice. The 750SL grate fits, but the wing angle is not ideal under the MSX hull.

You can get away with not sealing the intake grate, since there isn't too much cavitation or air leakage down there. Works best when sealed, of course. Just don't over do it and have sealant bulging into the water stream, or into the pump intake.

Do use the correct bolt head profile. The tapered bolt head can be hard to find sometimes.
    Last edited by K447; 09-05-2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Consensus adjustment :)

+1
    I would have to disagree on the JD grate being best all around,From the guys I've talked to on a stock MSX. The JD grate is a HUGE shovel,and is best for real rough water,but most that have used them were on the modded MSX's.
    No need in betting the horse all over again.
    Best is to read the thread and decide what is best for your riding conditions.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=grates

Thanks again guys, good info. So.... That being said anybody got a 650 grate for sale or know somebody that does?? I've been all over e-bay and nothing.
    Thanks, Troy

+1
    If you don't find one right off,be patience,one will come up. You could run yours with a broken fin,I'd just cut it off clean on each end till you find one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    I would have to disagree on the JD grate being best all around,From the guys I've talked to on a stock MSX. The JD grate is a HUGE shovel,and is best for real rough water,but most that have used them were on the modded MSX's.
    I'd have to agree with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information