Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

RR clutch fails at 1.5 hrs

Thats right had a RR clutch and HD shaft fitted and 1.5 hrs later no boost.Pulled the s/c and this is what I see.Anyone got any ideas as to why this has failed so rapidly?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imga0576_112.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	469  

I`ve been looking long and and hard at this thing and I`m wondering if that slightly smaller diameter washer thats between the gear and the washer with the flats machined into it should be there? I thought the ceramic washer ran there and that one doesn`t appear to be ceramic or the right diameter.

+1
    More than likelely it was built with too much tension on it. Who built the clutch for you?

I think from what you are describing the slightly smaller diameter washer next to the gear and the flat nut is one of the ceramic disks. It appears as though the front ceramic washer disentegrated as it is not present on the shaft. If indeed one of the ceramics came off the shaft look forward to yanking your engine and cleaning/replacing your oil pumps as necessary. I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but unfortunately its a necessity.

Hi Jerry,
    there is no ceramic washer on the compressor side of the gear ( I presume there should be one there) and the washer that you can see in the picture beside the washer with the flats in it seems to held tightly in place. If thats the ceramic washer should it not free wheel like the gear ?
    My local Seadoo dealer assembled it and said they set it up tp factory spec`s

dont tuch them clutches leave them bone ass stock

+1
    Yes it should freewheel.

I wonder if there are any shims in the spring washer area. I'm still betting that your dealer put too much tension on it.

YET ANOTHER RR "SUPERDUTY CLUTCH" that has failed ... some day you people will look back and realize that the stock clutch is just as good esc ones with BOVs ... When the stock clutches go you dont have to worry about pulling your motor apart ..... I NOW KNOW of ATLEAST 6 people that have had these things blow up in there face .... it is a COMPLETE OVERKILL for everyday use!!!!!!!!!!! for the record ask yourself this " do i know of anyone that has put a RR racing clutch on there RXP and not had a problem "??

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    over 60 hours on my stock clutch on my RXT and beating the living snot out of it... i don't ever intend on "allegedly upgrading"..... i dunt see any difference between a stock clutch and the RR HD clutch

I'm back on the stock clutch. The "Performance" and RR "HD" units seem to fail far more often than the stockers. Probably due to the increased tension.
    I just wish Rotax pumped the oil to it as designed, instead of spraying it on the clutch which is pretty much useless. You want a durable clutch, someone is going to have to get a mod made to pump the oil into the SC shaft and out the clutch as it was orignally designed.
    Shame on Rotax for going cheap and costing us all dearly.

No, there`s no shims in there.My old steel type clutch had been shimmed up to increase the tesion so I know they look like. That failed too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information