newbie 99 GP1200 top end

newbie 99 GP1200 top end
    Ok so this is all new to me. I am new to the sport and I have 1999 GP1200 that has scored cylinders and low compression. I have read alot on the subject and am looking for a good top end kit or advice. Pro-x seems to be the pick for pistons but do they sale a top end rebuild kit? I read somewhere to stay away from sbt and wsm. Any info is appreciated. Also can i bore out the cylinders. I read somewhere that they are nickel plated and it is better to get a complete kit with everything rather than rebore. Is this true? Thanks in advance. This is a stock ski and i want to do it right. I am on a budget.

Thanks!,

Daniel

Yes, I would go the Pro-X piston route.

I ordered mine through a local dealer with a aftermarket gasket kit.

Order the .5mm oversize pistons so you can give them to the person doing the boring for proper piston cylinder wall clearances.

You can bore them oversize, not nikasil..

I just did this job, take your time doing it and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by podog; 09-04-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addition

THanks!!!

Ok now the guy who was gonna help me backed out and I am scared to tackle this by myself. How hard is this and are there any special tools needed? Should I just leave it to a professional or buy a manual and take it on myself?

i think you should turn your own wrench, there is a lot to learn and there is no better place to start..also you got greenhulk!!

+1
    Do you know what caused the problem? I always like to know what caused the failure before I put a motor back together. I don't want to see you put it back together and the same thing happen.

Well supposedly I was told it was a leaky head gasket but I am not convinced it wasnt a bad carb. The top of the head is all pitted and my head needs resurfacing. It still runs just sounds off and has low compression on one cylinder.

99 Riva GP 1200R3 #11 of 50
    have you check the compression on each cylinder? do cylinder walls look similar for each jug or is there noticiable variation (scratches etc). Get good manual and do your self. The biggest thing is to get organized and have plenty of room to take things apart and keep them lined up like they go back together. have plenty of cups, baggies etc on hand and lable everything. just in case time passes. also digital cameras are helpful to remember details. I'm new to wave runners but have built 25 motocross engines to 460 ford truck pulling engines and transmissions. The key is organization, cleanliness and not being scared to ask for help.

Yes the compression is low on the pitted cylinder but walls seemed to be in prety good shape. I am going to get the head repaired, hone the cylinders replace one piston and put new rings on all the pistons, rebuild the carbs and make sure the stator bolts are tight and all lines that are old replaced. Anything else that may need to be done or advice is appreciated.

Daniel

Thread Information