Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Newb

95 WaveRaider over heated?

Hi. I am sorry my first post is a "help me post" but I am a newbie and don't really have much experience to share (yet). So here's what happened. A friend was riding the jetski and she said what looked like smoke started coming out from under the seat and the ski shut down. It got towed to the shore and when I opened up the hatch, i saw the flush kit hose on the floor and there was some dark colored discoloration on the top of the block along with some burned plastic smell. Now, the ski will turn over on the trailer but if I let off on the throttle it runs harsh and cuts off. So here's my question, being a newbie that wants to learn, where should I start my checks (besides the repair shop). Thanks for any advice you can provide. I do have the service manual for this ski but I sure would like some advise from the experts on where I should start.

+1
    Are you sure you didn't have a hose come off....? The over-heat sensor would have came on limiting RPM's to 3k if it got hot if it's working and still installed. Check for a hose clamp that came off under the bucket and or a hole somewhere in the hoses under the bucket..or right at the bulkhead.

M

Newb
    Thanks for the reponse. I did not see any hose off but I will take a closer look when I get home. The only thing I did see was the hose that comes with the flush kit on the ground, leaving the little spigot open from the engine. As far as I know the, ski is stock with no mods so if it has an overheat sensor, then it didnt go off as the ski shut down and would not start back up.

+1
    Check for a hole in a hose...limp mode should have/would have worked limiting the ski's rpms to 3k to help protect it from frying.

M

my post didn`t post oh well try it again.
    Mine overheated a few weeks ago I had some debris get sucked into the pump. It plugged the hose that connects to the motor. We stopped blew it out it was fine after that.
    Probably wouldn`t hurt for you to do a compression check to make sure everything is allright. particulary if the discoloration your refering to is the paint on the cylinders or head. It would have to get pretty hot to do that.

do a compression check before you spend a lot of time do any thing else,, make sure it did not really hurt the motor inside...

Newb
    Thanks for the advise. I am going to do a compression check today and look for busted hoses as well. I got home too late yesterday to get started on it.

Newb
    I checked the compression this morning. I got 110psi on 1 cylinder and 0 on the other one. 0psi is not a good thing I imagine. I have attached a couple of pictures of the discoloration on top of the engine so you can see what I meant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discoloration1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	149033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	discoloration3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	149034  

Oh Dude...... that motor is toast!

Unhappy

Bummer bro

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information