Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo??

Turbo??

I know that if you choose a turbo that is a bit too big it will spool slower,but can you do anything too the engine,(cam timming,different cam,headwork or maybe something else) to eliminate some of the lag a big turbo give vs. a small turbo?? Btw. i have a riva ecu.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lars k View Post
    I know that if you choose a turbo that is a bit too big it will spool slower,but can you do anything too the engine,(cam timming,different cam,headwork or maybe something else) to eliminate some of the lag a big turbo give vs. a small turbo?? Btw. i have a riva ecu.Thanks
    It may help some, but too little to be worth it is my thoughs. How much hp are you looking for? When I had my 280-300hp turbo on my Doo, I was able keep up with a stock Rxp from holeshot...The stock ski only got half a boat-length on me... But when in plane, the stock ski was long gone in a nano-second.

But when I reached 80mph, the turbo was over-boosted. Now with my 440-450hp turbo, the boat is dead until right when it gets on plane, then it's just to hold on and say a praire.

Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar
    there are SEVERAL factors in choosing a turbo...i suggest talking to a professional...call up Garrett

when you choose to go turbo there many factors to consider like how many cylinders the engine has, your horse power goal with the turbo, how much boost do you want to run, how fast do you want to spool it, engine compression. All these factors come down to the type of turbo you want or need. If the turbo you have is too big you can run a little more compression and big bore pistons to get rid of the lag at low end, get a better engine intake manifold to flow more air to the engine with bigger throttle body another way is to run an aftermarket ecu with antilag....

So there is not much you can do to the engine to help with the lag

So there is not much you can do to the engine to help with the lag
    like I said you can run a big bore bottom end with a little higher compression and a better intake with more flow. the size of your intake piping play a good roll also in spooling time if you keep everything to 2" 1/5 piping size. you can also limit the size of the turbo exhaust downpipe to like 2" 1/5 size on a big turbo to keep it spooling a little quicker than with a 3" downpipe...

+1
    i thought more exh flow = quicker spool for forced induction

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    there are SEVERAL factors in choosing a turbo...i suggest talking to a professional...call up Garrett
    and plan on having deep pockets if you want it right.

Turbos run cherry red at night, that's a lot of heat in a small relatively sealed and tiny engine compartment. The turbos efficency comes from turning exhaust heat into air pumping horsepower. Cooling the exhaust likely isn't the answer. Not sure but maybe that is partially why they choose superchargers.

Small turbochargers can have very little lag and easily supply a 1.5 liter engine especially when you consider the ski doesn't start to move until 4 grand or better and the fact that it is heavily loaded engine wise compared to something with a variable xmission.

Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    i thought more exh flow = quicker spool for forced induction
    if you have too big of a turbo and with the exhaust downpipe lets say 3" or 3" 1/5 your spooling time is going to be too late in rpm range compare to a 2" 1/5 exhaust downpipe with the same turbo. I think about 1000 rpm or more depending on the set-up. The only downsize of that will be exhaust back pressure but better spooling time..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information