Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Honda F-15X Performance Packages

Hey guys, this is Kevin Shaw, Editor of Personal Watercraft Illustrated. Over the last year, I've been working closely with some key members of this industry to help Honda develop a larger presence in the PWC performance/racing world.

Right now, things are still pretty quiet. I've mentioned bits and pieces of goings on in speckled issues of PWI, but so far, I haven't really drawn back the curtain as there's still much more work to be completed.

Right now, Honda has made very little effort to enter into the arena of professional PWC racing, save for a quiet hand-shake agreement with APBA Region 1 multi-time Pro Open R/A Champion, Nick Vanis, who is sort of working as a test mule for future performance F-15Xs.

Various iterations of sponsons, intake grates, exhaust systems (see above and try not to drool), air intakes, intercooler setups, supercharger applications, valvetrain upgrades, and even a centrifugal supercharger kit have been on the table; much of which, with great success!

Unfortunately, while Vanis' Candy Red-and-Black F-15X GPScape is capable of near-80 mph, the question is to all of you: How interested are you all in getting your Honda PWC to haul ass?

Right now, there's very little in the way of commercially-available product (Worx sponsons, Macsboosts' ECU and intercooler, NitroShark's valve springs, etc.), when compared to Sea-Doo and Yamaha, so many aftermarket companies are afraid to pour lots of money into Honda product if there's no interested buyers.

I'm going to list some parts and services and I really want you guys to answer honestly. The more interested you guys are, the more likely the aftermarket is to begin producing them.

Bolt-on Handling Components
    1) Two different grades of sponsons and blades; one for offshore/rough and one for perfect cornering and handling.
    2) Two different grades of intake grates; one for offshore/rough/top speed and one for hard acceleration/glued-to-the-track maneuvering.
    3) High performance drop nozzle and multi-vane pump, either cam or hand-lever operated for cornering.
    4) Anti-cavitation cone.
    5) High performance ride plate providing 1.5-to-2 mph. No shimming needed.
    6) Two differently-pitched impellers.

Engine Performance Parts
    1) MoTeC ECU, pre-assembled, with plug-and-play wire loom, with durable, out of the way mounting braket. (30-to-40 hp plug-in-and-go)
    2) Two different grades of performance exhaust; a single system which utilizes the stock outlet, or a custom, dual-pipe with trick billet outlets (see Nick's ski above).
    3) Vortech intercooler kit, including hoses and super-durable mounting bracket. Works with both turbo and superchargers.
    4) Vortech centrifugal supercharger kit. Not just for Kawasakis anymore, this kit comes with the intercooler, mounting brackets, hardware and hoses.
    5) Lightweight pistons and connecting rods.
    6) Lightweight valve upgrade kit, includes springs, retainers, and valves.
    7) All-new performance camshaft kit. Works with stock tuned ECU (or custom tune) but requires valvetrain upgrade kit.
    8 Automotive-grade blow-off valve/waste gate.
    9) AFR data-gathering sensor and plug.

Aesthetics
    1) Fiberglass or carbon-fiber backseat/rear mount replacement.
    2) Custom shaped seat and cover.
    3) Tactile floor mats.
    4) MoTeC dash kit, replaces factory dash and shows all on-the-fly engine data and GPS-confirmed speed.

While there's currently no pricing for any of this equipment, suffice it to say that purchasing all of the above would cost right around $10,000. But, you would be the single fastest F-15X around, so there's that!

Again, let me know how interested all of you are for this stuff, and you just might start seeing it on Green Hulk's 4-Tec Performance store in the near future!

-Kevin

+1
    i don't know how guys enter in red font..so here's a doc with my answers..

tried to save as an open doc in addition to word , but it would take the odt file extension. What good is open doc if you cant use it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Bolt-on Handling Components
    1) Two different grades of sponsons and blades; one for offshore/rough and one for perfect cornering and handling.

I personally think the standard F-15X sponsons work pretty damn well. It would have to be a marked difference in performance for me to justify changing them.

2) Two different grades of intake grates; one for offshore/rough/top speed and one for hard acceleration/glued-to-the-track maneuvering.

I'd be interested in the 'offshore' intake as most of my riding is open ocean or flat tributary water.

3) High performance drop nozzle and multi-vane pump, either cam or hand-lever operated for cornering.
    4) Anti-cavitation cone.

I'm guessing this is the pump outlet cone, but if it says 'anti-cavitation', I want one!.

5) High performance ride plate providing 1.5-to-2 mph. No shimming needed.

Yes

6) Two differently-pitched impellers.

Only if other modifications increased the rev range above the norm or to the limiter, or removed 'off-the-line'cavitation.

Engine Performance Parts
    1) MoTeC ECU, pre-assembled, with plug-and-play wire loom, with durable, out of the way mounting braket. (30-to-40 hp plug-in-and-go)

Entirely dependant on cost. I saw another ECU option that was nearly 1/3 the original purchase price of the ski. For rec users, this is generally a 'deal-breaker' price. The Macsboost module for the F-12X was popular because it gave real performance gains for a reasonable amount of money. It was/is by no means cheap, but it doesn't require you to hock a kidney either.

2) Two different grades of performance exhaust; a single system which utilizes the stock outlet, or a custom, dual-pipe with trick billet outlets (see Nick's ski above).

A more free flowing exhaust that uses the stock outlet and doesn't howl at passers-by would be welcome. Unfortunately in Australia, PWC's have been demonized by a vocal minority and the media and one of our main arguements is that PWC's now are much quieter and run cleaner than they did 10 years ago. This arguement is made moot when a PWC goes tearing past a well populated beach at 135db.

3) Vortech intercooler kit, including hoses and super-durable mounting bracket. Works with both turbo and superchargers.

...again, cost related.

4) Vortech centrifugal supercharger kit. Not just for Kawasakis anymore, this kit comes with the intercooler, mounting brackets, hardware and hoses.

...as above...

5) Lightweight pistons and connecting rods.
    6) Lightweight valve upgrade kit, includes springs, retainers, and valves.
    7) All-new performance camshaft kit. Works with stock tuned ECU (or custom tune) but requires valvetrain upgrade kit.
    8 Automotive-grade blow-off valve/waste gate.
    9) AFR data-gathering sensor and plug.

The 5 above really are high-performance/race components related to engine longevity under hard use. For the average recreational skier, these would be expensive upgrades with relatively little performance gain.
    Just the $0.02 of a recreational rider down-under

its about time, with so many hondas in the water there should be a honda partnership in pwc. there are more parts out there just they havent been advertized yet...

I can tell you it is not a lack of interest in Honda, it is the 2-4k more that the 15x runs for over comparable models and even more importantly, Honda's attitude in regard to their dealer network and their restrictive "Powerhouse" bull policy.

I am recreational rider looking for a 2nd ski. I would like to do 80 mph in FL in the summer. I am torn between Yamaha FZS/SHO and F-15X. I like the ability of Yamaha to get to 80 mph without too much mods, but I need a ski with longer cruise range (I already have a 250X with short cruising range). So I am looking at F-15X which has long range and I like the ability of the turbo to change boost at full throttle via boost controller or ECU. It seems for the Honda to get to 80 mph it needs ECU, Intercooler and upgraded turbo. I am not looking for internal upgrades as I am just a recreational rider.

I will wait and see how mods come along with the Honda. I don't need 2nd ski until late next year as that is when my kid can ride on his own.

Obvious mod prices should be comparable to other type of skis would help!

+1
    Remember the question here, guys: How interested are you all in getting your Honda PWC to haul ass? I really do appreciate the effort, but I'm trying to gather if high-performance enthusiasts are interested in this gear.

As for the MoTeC ECU, it would be about the same price as the MoTeC ECU kit on sale now for the Yamaha SHO/FZR. What distinguishes that computer from anybody else is its multiple points of data gathering, durability, and "plug-and-playability." No rewiring necessary.

And the factory sponsons are miserable. I am really surprised you like them so much. The deep-blade sponsons we developed for closed course are outstanding and keep the tail absolutely planted (which has always been Honda's factory flaw).

Again, thanks for all the input, fellas. Keep your suggestions coming!

+1
    Rusty , honda is a low volume ski. The 15 is the best yet, but low volume means not much showing at the races and not much payback for your effort..small niche market. If honda came out with 15 at first instead of the 12 , we'd be singing a different tune. It's hard to play catchup.

+1
    [quote=creativepuzzle;1199012]I am recreational rider looking for a 2nd ski. I would like to do 80 mph in FL in the summer. I am torn between Yamaha FZS/SHO and F-15X. I like the ability of Yamaha to get to 80 mph without too much mods, but I need a ski with longer cruise range (I already have a 250X with short cruising range). So I am looking at F-15X which has long range and I like the ability of the turbo to change boost at full throttle via boost controller or ECU. It seems for the Honda to get to 80 mph it needs ECU, Intercooler and upgraded turbo. I am not looking for internal upgrades as I am just a recreational rider.

I will wait and see how mods come along with the Honda. I don't need 2nd ski until late next year as that is when my kid can ride on his own.

80's will be expensive but mid 70s will be reliable and easy to install !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
    Rusty , honda is a low volume ski. The 15 is the best yet, but low volume means not much showing at the races and not much payback for your effort..small niche market. If honda came out with 15 at first instead of the 12 , we'd be singing a different tune. It's hard to play catchup.
    If performance parts do not become available, Honda will remain low volume.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information