Thread: Oil Leak?

Oil Leak?

What's up guys, hope everything is great in your area, PR's going through a storm down here.

I woke up today to clean my ski and get it ready for tomorrow, weather should clear up by tonight and rain be gone by tomorrow. Point is, i went to the ski and noticed oil leaking, not on the left side where the hole is, but on the right... I took off the cowling and noticed it was leaking from what looked like some kind of hose. There was about half an inch of oil in the right footwell so it leaked quite a bit. Does anyone know what caused this to happen? and if its serious? I took pics of the spot where the oil began to leak, I just left it like that and am gonna wait till tomorrow to see if it still leaks. Any input would really be helpful

It runs yamalube just in case anyone is wondering

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0905091115-00.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	149036

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0905091115-01.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	149037

My XL1200Ltd did the same a few weeks ago and worried the hell out of me! Turns out it's the oil tank breather. I'd just filled the oil tank and we had a RARE spell of hot weather here in UK, and I guess it just expanded the oil and it came up the breather pipe and down the right hand side of the ski. There is a check valve at the top of the pipe, so I guess that should stop the oil escaping. Maybe it's stuck open, or maybe it's designed to allow oil out if the pressure in the tank is too high? Either way, it stopped leaking when the oil level dropped, and the temperature's down to the low teens now, so it ain't gonna get hot this side of next summer! Hope I'm right on this one. The Greenhulk Guru's will chip in if I'm wrong, and maybe one of them will tell us if the check valve should stop the oil getting out?

+1
    Its coming from the oil tank vent. Maybe the oil tank has been filled recently? If you try to top off the oil tank and jam in as much oil as possible, sometimes it comes out the vent. This usually happens after you tow the ski for the first time after filling the tank. There is no check valve in that line that I know of. If there was, it would not allow the tank to fill or empty easily depending what flow direction the check valve was. I would not suggest installing one. I just didn't fully top off my oil tank when I was running oil injection and it stopped overflowing. If you go premix you never have to worry about this again. Hope this helps.
    Priz
    Last edited by Prism; 09-06-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: grammar

I did fill it to the very top recently and had to trailer it quite a bit to get to the ramp, i guess that was it.

im glad it wasnt anything serious though. no one knows if by any chance the oil might have leaked into the fuel? i dont want to something to happen on the water...again

I agree with the check valve theory, but item #6 on the exploded diagram in my manual says 'check valve', and it's on the end of item #7 which is 'oil tank breather'. I'd be very surprised if oil can enter the fuel tank, as the breather comes off the top of the oil tank straight out to fresh air. Mine didn't give any problems once the level fell a little, and the temp dropped. Prism, are you in New Jersey U.S. or the Island of Jersey in the Channel Islands?

+1
    Paula & Dave I am from New Jersey in the U.S. Sorry for the confusion. As for the check valve, I looked in my GP1300R shop manual and found on pages 4-2 and 4-3 an exploded view of the oil tank. It does not show the end of the breather tube, but in the "service points" section on page 4-3 it specifically says "check valve". I found that to be surprising. I went one step further and I took a look at Riva's OEM parts finder. I have located the part we are speaking of. It sure does look like a check valve but the description lists it as a "rollover" valve. Take a look here. http://216.37.204.203/yamaha_OEM/Yam...=13&A=107&B=22
    I guess in this case we are both correct. Out of curiosity, the next time I have that area apart, I'm going to see exactly what it is. Anyway, hope all is well, Cheers!

That's the one. I think that's a better description as it leads me to think it's a gravity device that only operates when the ski 'rolls over' to stop oil coming out. That would mean the pressure of the oil coming up the pipe isn't enough to close the valve, so allowing it to leak out. That would make sense if it's to act as a breather. Cheers for the link. Regards, Dave.

Thanks for the help guys, i thought i was gonna have to drive across the island just to get it checked

Thread Information