Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help cant get ride plate off

I went to take my ride plate off a 2001 GPR to put a new Jims plate on and one of the bolts just turns and will not get tight or loose.How do you get to it from the inside or how do you guys go about fixing this?
    Thanks in advance,
    John

Moderated
    you bolt has spun in the mounting bracket...i.e. stripped the threads and its a very common problem.

bad news is you will need to replace your plate mounts now but its not hard, i can get a mounting bracket swapped out in about 15 minutes now but ive done it 4 or 5 times now

order two new 05 spec OEM ride plate brackets and replace both at the same time as the other one will go as well at some point so you might as well do them both now.

to get them off you will need to remove the sound suppression and waterbox first, then you will be able to get a screw driver in under the brackets and pop them out of the glued mounting points...then clean up the hull surface and glue the replacemnet ones in. Make sure you bolt the plate into them whilst doing it so it all lines up.

hope this helps.

ps: whenever you come across bolts that are a bit stiff, heat them up with a small torch before trying to get them out, it makes a huge difference. just warm hem up some

bolts???

So it is a kit that you get to replace the mounts?I guss I dont quite get it still.I take out the battery box and water box first right?I didnt turn this loose it is a new jet ski to me and it was all ready loose when I went to change it.The other three bolts came out fine this one was all ready turning.Dont I have to use another wrench or something to hold the other side of it because it is just spinning around.

I think I got you I will take it apart tomorrow.My speedo was reading 61 mph this afternoon I wanted to try the Jims plate so bad but couldnt get it off at the lake.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    If you look in the back of the ski (after you remove all of the exhaust) you will see the brass posts that act as sealed nuts for the ride plate and pump shoe. If I were you I would reach back there with a pair of vice grips and hold the post still while someone tightens the bolt. Replacing the posts with brackets is very easy...... BUT it takes time and I know I would not want to miss the weekend for something I can do in the winter.

Free advice so take it for what it is worth.

I will take your advise and wait.I could always do it at night.I have to take the battery box and electrics out of the way then the water box from the exaust should I put a D plate in while I am doing this?Since I will have some of the exaust apart anyways?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by j-wadd View Post
    I will take your advise and wait.I could always do it at night.I have to take the battery box and electrics out of the way then the water box from the exaust should I put a D plate in while I am doing this?Since I will have some of the exaust apart anyways?
    Stinger doesn't have to come out to get there. Just waterbox, Soundsuppresion etc..

Its a brass nut epoxied to the hull and they all break lose after a while. They upgraded to aluminum brackets in 04 I think. Order those before you take the ski apart.

Thanks were is a good place to order them?I ran the ski for a full tank of gas yesterday without any trouble and the plate was still tight even with just the three bolts.I will do as you say and order the brackets first and probably a pump seal kit as well.I see who ever had this before me just filled it with silicone.It was hooking up pretty good yesterday but I know it could do better.

What about the battery box?Does that have to come out?I see it makes it a lot easier to get to.What are you talking about when you say sound suppression?

+1
    Thanks were is a good place to order them?I ran the ski for a full tank of gas yesterday without any trouble and the plate was still tight even with just the three bolts.I will do as you say and order the brackets first and probably a pump seal kit as well.I see who ever had this before me just filled it with silicone.It was hooking up pretty good yesterday but I know it could do better.
    What about the battery box?Does that have to come out?I see it makes it a lot easier to get to.What are you talking about when you say sound suppression?
    I woudl not ride the ski with 3 bolts on the ride plate, its not safe. Yes you have to take the battery box out along with the stinger, water box and sound suppression. The sound suppression is the plastic pieces in the back of your ski that completes your exhaust. The sound suppression also creates your backpressure for your exhaust. You have to remove all that then you can start to upgrade your brackets. You'll need 3m marine 5200 to seal the bracket to the ski. Go to RX951 profile and download a service manual for your ski so you can use that to assist you. Since its your first time just take your time getting everything apart. It does get frustrating but once you know how to do it, then your good.

Also you should go to home depot and get a small benzenematic torch, to heat the bolts before you start to remove each one. just .02 on that part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information