Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Spider Cracks- @#$&%^*#$

As some know, I got this ski free from my boss this spring. Its a 04 rxp with 110 hours on it now. It was pretty beat up but did not have any cracks in the hull or anything. WELL......today I go to get ready to head to the lake, do the usual walk thru and decide to look under the ski to see how things were, I noticed a large patch of spider crackes in the gell coat. Knowing I didnt hit anything, I walk to the other side of the ski to find the same thing. About a foot long on both sides, the left side has them stretching upward towards the seadoo sticker. I know they were not there a month ago and the hull didnt hit anyhting in the water. Im worried this is the start to the delam issue or should I not worry about it as I hear they sometimes just happen. I can feel the cracks with my fingernail and they are on the left and right side, inline with the gas tank and steering. Im pissed to say the least. Here are some pics.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	149070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	501.5 KB 
ID:	149071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	149072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	149073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0031.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	149074  

+1
    anyone??

+1
    both my 04 rxps were very bad with spider cracks!one even had alot on the top deck at the hood.but they got used hard in heavy seas so i guess its to be expected.i wouldnt let it worry you to much unless your going 80+mph.keep an eye on them after each ride and make sure it doesnt start peeling from the hull.......extreme case.
    id think there aint many people that aint got sum form of cracking on their s/c skis.

guys chime in please but didnt sumone say that any craft going 65mph+ is prone to cracking due to the water stresses?regardless of age or size?even top end power boats.
    Last edited by baba850r; 09-06-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    ya no plans to go 80 on this ski but what gets me is they were there one day and not the other. I only ride in fresh water lakes and the last few times they were really calm,almost glass. Im kinda discouraged on getting a speedster jet boat next spring.

I have them on my '04 RXP too. Got them from crashing into waves at 60-70mph. It's funny to hear the hull echo. I'm not worried about them. Unless you can feel them and they look like they are starting to peel I wouldn't worry about them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwgsx View Post
    ya no plans to go 80 on this ski but what gets me is they were there one day and not the other. I only ride in fresh water lakes and the last few times they were really calm,almost glass. Im kinda discouraged on getting a speedster jet boat next spring.

why whats put you off the speedster?the cracking?
    i wouldnt worry about it the new yams and kwaks and new doos are all spider cracking to.sum guys from jumping waves others only ride flat lakes.id say its more the speed thing that a member on here touched on.

+1
    spider cracks are normal on these hulls....i didn't start seeing mine(on my 03) till around 200 hrs,but,since you you got the ski for FREE(and he's you're boss).....wadda gonna do.....sue him????
    j/k

That hull looks pretty beat up though.

just keep an eye on them,bet you'll be fine.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    There's not an RXP (04-05) out there without these cracks in the gel-coat... unless they haven't been ridden. I got them on my 05 within the first 15 hrs. But... no problems have ever come from them. And I beat the shit out of my ski!!!

+1
    Guess I better get it insured and hope if something worse happens, it happens on the water. At least hearing that this is common on these ski's makes me feel a little better.

As for the boat thing, I would hate to drop $20,000 or more in a sea doo and find the bottom cracking after a few rides. Why dont they make the bottom stronger in the common stress areas??

Dont warry to much about this cracks... unless you go fast then worry not have fun just keep an eye on it ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information