Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not again! Replaced rectifier, stator, pickup... Still getting 12V low on startup!

Ok, here goes. 1996 GSX, bought it, ran great on test drive, however when I took it out after purchasing it I noticed it did the "12V Low" thing. I put a new battery in it, and all was well for a little while.

When I got it in the lake for a whole day, it started doing the 12V low thing again, and as the day went on it would start running funny, dropping RPM's, etc.

(This part here was about 2 weeks ago) I found out my rectifier was toasted, so I replaced it and put in a new stator and pickup at the same time. I did not charge the battery at all (in hindsight I probably should have) and put everything back together.

I put it in the water a few days later, and fired it up. It did the 12V low thing when I started it for the first time, however it now ran better than it ever did before, I got an extra couple hundred RPM's out of it and it ran much smoother and didn't bog or miss at all. When I turned it off, I could turn it back on without getting the 12V low thing. I was only able to ride it for 20 minutes or so, as the lake was rough and I had to stay in the river. Seeing that it ran much better, and didn't miss at high RPM I assumed my problem was fixed, so I pulled it out and took it home.

The next weekend I went back to the cottage and the lake was again really rough, so I took it out for a short ride and again it did the 12V low thing the first time I started it. It ran awesome though, and I figured it did the 12V low thing since it had a weak battery from being drained down. Put it away after 20-30 minutes, and left it for the week.

Today, I put it in the water, and again it did the 12V low thing when I first started it, and it ran awesome all day. I rode it quite a bit and took it on a half hour ride, most of it was at full throttle. I got back to shore, and went upstairs for an hour or so. I came back to the beach a little later, hopped on... and it did the 12V low thing again.

It runs fine, I have no complaints about that. If I turn it off then start it again after a few minutes, its fine. No 12V low or anything. If it sits for a couple hours, it does the 12V low.

I pulled it out of the water this evening and put it in the garage. I disconnected the positive battery cable, and put a "battery tender plus" smart charger on it. It lit up red, like the battery needed to be charged pretty bad and it stayed red.

How long would an almost dead battery have to be ran in a SeaDoo to get a full charge? Shouldn't riding it around all day charge it back up? Could something else be causing this problem? Thanks guys.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    It charges slowly. You might want to take the battery back for a load test and get a new warranty one. As soon as the voltage dips below 12.0 volts you get the "12 volts low" light. This time...it's not your ski...

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    It charges slowly. You might want to take the battery back for a load test and get a new warranty one. As soon as the voltage dips below 12.0 volts you get the "12 volts low" light. This time...it's not your ski...

Well, I let it charge all night long, the charger is showing green now. I'm gonna ride it today, and I'll see what she does. Thank god I saved the box and receipt! If by chance I can return it, I would like to purchase a good battery. Do you have a nice sealed one you would recommend?

+1
    Advance Auto sells an AGM battery for (ETX 16L, I think) that have given me very good service (one is three and the other two years old).

Well, I charged this sucker all night long, it lit up green on the charger this morning. I put it in the water and... 12V low. Guess its new battery time, again, if its not the Sea Doo.

Dont just by a battery get a good one. Those never start and Sonic battery's are cheep get a good one. I run a DEKA on my XPL My 98 GSXL did the 12 low from day one. If it went away I knew it was charging. As long as it started I figured everything was doing its job and saw no need to fix it.
    I dont want to come across your cat. Scary If it wasnt for the fear in his eyes I wouldnt know it was a Photoshop pic

Do you have anything running automatically, like a bilge pump or similar that is running the power down.

I would disconnect the battery when not in use for a week, and then see if the same scenario happens. If not, then there is a load on the battery causing this for you.

Take it from there. I would not be too quick to blame the battery, especially if it turns out to be a rogue bilge pump or something like that.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    I would not be too quick to blame the battery, especially if it turns out to be a rogue bilge pump or something like that.
    You need to read his other thread and you'll know why we aren't recommending anything else. He just replaced his stator and rectifier, the whole charging system is new.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    run a small voltmeter...as long as it's charging when running, no worries, battery voltage can easily dip below 12 when cranking for a moment, and the meter takes a few seconds to update. No doubt some are more sensitive then others. It's great peace of mind to see the actual battery voltage when riding. I've lamented the total lack of instrumenation on skis in another thread, I assumed it was a liability issue since they want you watching the water, not your engine water temperature, which I believe is why the seadoo system defaults back to direction after you bring up the engine temperature display. I found that really annoying when I was breaking in an engine and wanted to keep an eye on the stats.

avoid cheap crap batteries, they are truly a false economy.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    run a small voltmeter...as long as it's charging when running, no worries, battery voltage can easily dip below 12 when cranking for a moment, and the meter takes a few seconds to update. No doubt some are more sensitive then others. It's great peace of mind to see the actual battery voltage when riding. I've lamented the total lack of instrumenation on skis in another thread, I assumed it was a liability issue since they want you watching the water, not your engine water temperature, which I believe is why the seadoo system defaults back to direction after you bring up the engine temperature display. I found that really annoying when I was breaking in an engine and wanted to keep an eye on the stats.

avoid cheap crap batteries, they are truly a false economy.
    Do you have a voltmeter you would recommend? Is it something I would mount on the handlebars permanently, and leave on all the time?

I think the battery I got was a cheap one. I pulled it out and took it home with me. It is an "ENERGY POWER" sealed battery I bought at the marine supply place. It's made in Taiwan, I just bought it on a whim when I thought I needed it when I first saw the 12V low thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information