1999 Polaris Genesis wont crank sometimes

Ok here is the problem I have been dealing with. The machine will crank with the lanyard out but when you install it it will no longer crank. I have read the other forums on here but my problem is a little different. When this happens on mine all I have to do is disconnect the battery for a few seconds and reconnect it and then it works like it should. but if you push the stop buton or pull the lanyard you have to disconect the battery again before you can restart the machine. This sounds like a somewhat normal problem but sounds like people have replaced more than whats needed. I am guessing the computer or cdi unit have some kinda solenoid that are not de-energizing or the computers security system is not fully disengauging.

Does this help you guys out there with what could be wrong?
    I would love to fix this as I love the waverunner besides this.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

This is a carburetor engine - correct?

We have seen a few owners recently with similar symptoms on the 1999 Genesis. It will crank with lanyard out, but will not crank with lanyard in.

There may be more than one cause for this problem, but you can start with the following

Check whether this update has been applied to yours;
    Service Bulletin PWC-00-05
    Move CDI Red/Purple wire to Orange terminal for reliable engine restarts

Applies to all domestic engine Polaris PWC, two and three cylinder engines 1996-2000 (and possibly some 2001)
    All later domestic engines were wired this way from the factory.
    How the LR module controls domestic CDI power, and ensures reliable warm re-starts

The 1999 Genesis has two electrical boxes (IIRC), and another member had to run another Orange wire between the two boxes to connect the CDI in one box to the LR modules Orange wire output in the other box.

Also have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    K447, didn't that update (rd/purp to org) only help no spark on a warm restart? That didn't keep the engine from turning over did it?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by starflight View Post
    K447, didn't that update (red/purple to orange) only help no spark on a warm restart?

That didn't keep the engine from turning over did it?
    Warm restart was the primary reason for the Service Bulletin, but the combo Start/Stop switch models seem to have something else going on, especially on the 1999 models.

It may simply be a failed LR module (which controls Start/Stop function on the Genesis and Virage), which had part number revisions several times in later model years.

If I get some time on Monday, I will sit down with the Genesis wiring diagrams and LR module versions, and see if I can figure out a definitive testing process.

In the meantime, applying this update does not seem to have a downside, other than the effort involved in doing it.

What MAY be happening is that the LR module has become confused as to whether the engine is running or not running. When you press the Start/Stop button, the LR module decides whether to crank the engine, or kill the CDI spark.

It is supposed to do this based on the presence or absence of an AC signal on the Yellow wire. Yellow wire active means engine is running, so the Start/Stop button press means the LR module should ground the Black/Yellow wire to the CDI, which shuts of spark and stops the engine.

If the Yellow wire is quiet (battery DC voltage only), then the Start/Stop button means you want to crank (and start) the engine. The LR module allows the start solenoid to activate, and the engine cranks and starts.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    As a test, couldn't he remove the blk/w from the LR502 going to the start solenoid and attach it to blk to bypass the 502 start/stop module? It seems the 502 breaks neg to the solenoid to keep it from starting as the positive is wired to the start switch.

Thread Information